[Price Check] Parts List

Status
Not open for further replies.

Confuzled

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
I was looking to upgrade to a X99 build and was wondering what the guestimation of my parts would be.

Processor- I5-2500K
CPU Cooler- Corsair H100
Memory - Corsair Vengeance 1600 8GB(4x2)
Motherboard - Gigabyte Z68X-UD4-B3
Case - Haf 932
PSU - Corsair 600w. (Non Modular)

No clue how you would come up with $225...

You would need a new motherboard, new CPU, new memory. And if my guess is right and that Corsair power supply is a CX, VS, RM (no i), or CS series, you need a new power supply as well. Somehow, I know that would cost more than $225.

The X99 motherboards cost more than Z series motherboards for a few reasons. X99 motherboards support quad channel memory, and 8 sticks total. In addition, they require DDR4 memory which is more expensive than DDR3. The CPU's that work with the X99 chipset also come with more PCIe lanes. So between the 8 memory slots, and the possible 40 PCIe lanes there are a ton of extra traces on these motherboards.

There are 3 I7 CPU's that will work with an X99 motherboard, ranging from about $350 to over $1000, and then there is a whole series of Xeon CPU's as well. All of these require the 2011-v3 socket, which is what the X99 chipset needs as well.

And I mentioned that the memory on the X99 motherboard is DDR4. This is the first consumer chipset that needs DDR4.

And finally, I mentioned your power supply. If it is a Corsair CX series power supply, we lowered the tier rating on it to Tier 4 over a week ago. Reason, we are seeing too many of those units showing up when they are only a year or two old, with what appears to be failing capacitors. These units test out really well when new. But far too many are causing problems within a year or two. So we no longer recommend their use in any gaming system.

In any case, due to all of the above, I am certain the cost would be much higher than the $225 posted earlier. But there are so many variables, that I am not going to even guess what you might end up choosing.

If you would like more info, or help on getting a high quality power supply, just ask. We have entire lists of power supplies that we like and do not like. Or on any of this.

D

Deleted member 217926

Still not sure how you would come up with $225 for that system. The 2500K alone is worth probably $150. For everything I would ask about $400 and be prepared to take $350 if you want to sell it fast. You will most likely have to part it out though.

i based that price on not knowing the age of the system and its wear, as well as some other factors.

-has a 4.5 year old overclockable processor which is not worth much used at this point, imo. who knows how hot it was run. Electromigration is real.
-the psu is corsair cx series. enough said there.
-personally, coming from a buyers perspective, i wouldnt want a used watercooling system.

Status
Not open for further replies.