Building a more powerful PC! Need tips!

glados3

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013
Also, Going over / under my budget isn't a big deal. Just want something powerful to game on... that's all it will be used for.

gotovato

Reputable
Nov 15, 2014
Looks like a solid build. One thing though, if you plan to overclock that CPU id suggest a better CPU cooler that h60 isn't the best. Go for the h80i if you don't mind spending a little more

glados3

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013

Nice, Thank you! Updated it on my listth. Considering SLI down the road which I'm sure that power supply can handle two 980tis? Any case ideas?

gotovato

Reputable
Nov 15, 2014
That's a solid psu. No issues with sli. For case, honestly pick something you like. Make sure it'll fit all your components of course and that it has good airflow. You can spend anywhere from $50 on a cheap case up to $200 or so on a big beast of a case. It's completely up to you. Just keep in mind that going sli will require more room in your case, as well as solid airflow.

RazerZ

Judicious
Ambassador
That is a good start. If you plan to do some heavy overclocks and go 980ti sli you might want to invest in a 1k watt psu. The monitor is also overpriced, you can find a decent 144Hz 2k monitor for ~$480. However unless your games will be played at 100+ frame rate I would opt for a monitor with a lower refresh rate. I would avoid the H60/AIOs for the CPU cooler. Going with a decent air cooler would be a better choice. No need to worry about pump failure/leakage, noise, and they are usually cheaper as well. There is a wide variety of good cases out there, to name a few decent picks around $100: NZXT Phantom 410, Phanteks Enthoo Pro, Fractal Define R4, NZXT H440, Corsair 750D, CM Storm Scout 2, etc.

As for air coolers I would take a look here

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2467876/alternatives-hyper-212-evo-budget-cooling.html

or here depending on the overclock you are going for

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2181775/big-boy-cpu-coolers.html

glados3

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013

Thanks for the detailed response! Currently reading through this thread and deciding on a cooler. Also I'm slightly nervous about paying that much for a monitor but I wanted something nice 2k 144hz with g sync, any recommendations ?

gotovato

Reputable
Nov 15, 2014
You have basically 2 choices. Either that acer, or the asus rog swift. I've heard mixed reviews about both. Also they cost around the same price. For me personally, id go with the acer as the ips panel is alot nicer then the tn the swift has

glados3

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013

Now that I think about it maybe that monitor is a bit overkill?

Any suggestions in the 500$ range?