Windows Pirates: What To Expect From Your Upgrade

G

Here at Tom's Hardware, we don't endorse piracy. In fact, helping other people commit acts of piracy is against our rules!

If you have pirated Windows, here's what you can expect:

According to a blog post from Microsoft, non-genuine versions of Windows 7 and 8 will be upgraded to a non-genuine version of Windows 10.

"Non-Genuine Windows is not supported by Microsoft or a trusted partner," Microsoft writes. If you want the full experience and support, you'll need to pay to upgrade.

Read the full post here: http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/05/15/genuine-windows-and-windows-10/

thedon57

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005
The Full Blog

Genuine Windows and Windows 10

This week we shared more details about Windows 10 “editions.” Today, I thought I would provide answers to some questions we’ve received regarding how this will work for Genuine vs. Non-Genuine Windows.

With Windows 10, we have extended an offer to our Genuine Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 customers to upgrade to Windows 10 for free. Once a customer upgrades, they will continue to receive ongoing Windows innovation and security updates for free, for the supported lifetime of that device.

These customers purchased their Genuine Windows license from our valued OEM partners, which ensures Windows is properly installed, licensed, and not tampered with. Windows 10 offers our customers an even more secure and modern experience. Bringing all of our customers to Windows 10 improves the ecosystem for developers which makes Windows better for all of our customers. We are working hard to make the in-place upgrade experience from Windows 7 or Windows 8, to Windows 10, seamless for the customer. Throughout the Windows world, I am humbled by the excitement being associated with this opportunity to upgrade to Windows 10.

When we can’t verify that Windows is properly installed, licensed, and not tampered with, we create a desktop watermark to notify the user. If you ever encounter this watermark on a new machine, I encourage you to return the device immediately to the retailer from whom you purchased it and request a Genuine Windows device. Non-Genuine Windows has a high risk of malware, fraud, public exposure of your personal information, and a higher risk for poor performance or feature malfunctions. Non-Genuine Windows is not supported by Microsoft or a trusted partner.

Microsoft and our OEM partners know that many consumers are unwitting victims of piracy, and with Windows 10, we would like all of our customers to move forward with us together. While our free offer to upgrade to Windows 10 will not apply to Non-Genuine Windows devices, and as we’ve always done, we will continue to offer Windows 10 to customers running devices in a Non-Genuine state. In addition, in partnership with some of our valued OEM partners, we are planning very attractive Windows 10 upgrade offers for their customers running one of their older devices in a Non-Genuine state. Please stay tuned to learn more from our partners on the specifics of their offers.

Windows 10 is still in development and we won’t be able to answer all questions yet, but I hope this provides some clarification on important topics. If you’d like to help shape the future of Windows and contribute to Windows 10, please join the Windows Insider Program, where you can download technical previews of Windows 10 and provide us valuable feedback.

Thank you for your support of Windows and our Windows partners by choosing genuine Windows 10.

saas1980

Reputable
May 23, 2015
That's a little surprising. I was anticipating a more aggressive approach to tackling Piracy with Windows 10. First offering Win 10 for free and now almost giving the green light to non-genuine's to be upgraded as non-genuine's. It's clear MS is pushing Win 10 to be a universal singular platform opposed to supporting a multitude of OS's, which is highly practical and it seems for now they're saying 'ok pirates, we'll let you sail the pacific on our new ship but your privileges will be limited (cold meals I bet), just do us a favour don't abandon us by joining the other side"

It's either that or MS is consumed with the subscription consumer, where revenues are abundant and the future is equally engaged in matching the top dog competition. If it were that, I guess it benefits MS to turn a blind eye especially if the pirate has to pay for his cold meal.

p.s. im not complaining. I was appalled with Microsoft's post 30 day non-revert policy. Once upgraded to 10, should I pass the 30 day period and then notice poop hitting the fan I wouldn't mind a captain Hook watermark. Might even add a surf board to give it life.

jk122

Reputable
Aug 6, 2015
what would a non-henuine version do different than a genuine?and what exactly do they mean by non revert

saas1980

Reputable
May 23, 2015

To the best of my understanding, non-genuine windows will be limited to attaining security updates and upcoming features which make the Windows 10 experience better. Also Microsoft may at some point crack down on non-genuine copies which may then be inoperable

30 day restriction is basically once you have upgraded to Window 10 from a previous Windows version, after 30 days you can't switch back to the previous version. I currently use Windows 7, hence if I opt for the free upgrade I have only 30 days to decide to keep the upgrade or switch back.

Don't let that 30 day thing get to you, so far I've heard nothing but GREATNESS with the update to Windows 10 (from family and friends).

jk122

Reputable
Aug 6, 2015
i upgraded too had a few issues but it seems to have resolved itself.. although nothing was wrong with my windows 7 but as a good consumer (chuckle) i cant shy away from a free upgrade

BuzzKenway

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013
I know that here at Toms hardware , illegal stuff is not entertained . But someone I know had actiavted Window 8.1 using something . On that someones machine , it si running fine and says activated

saas1980

Reputable
May 23, 2015

TBH, though I joked about it previously, I would never opt for a non-genuine. I use my machine for both business and personal use, hence must be optimized with latest updates. If the pirates are benefitting from updates too, fair play, but cant imagine myself taking the risk to then one day wake up and learn ''MS has pulled the plug''. :fou:

BuzzKenway

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013

agreed

Umeed

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2013
lol Microsoft isn't tackling this as well as they think they are....I know a couple people with pirated copies, and they upgraded to Pro versions just fine. No errors, no messages saying "not genuine", kinda makes me feel stupid for buying a legit copy lol but whatever i support the devs.

Umeed

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2013

if you're getting a message saying "this copy of windows is not genuine" then you'll know its not genuine. If you bought your computer from a big box retailer, it'll be genuine.