Removing CMOS won't reset BIOS pass (laptop)

InsanityCrescendo

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2015
The problem
At first: I unplugged the laptop, shorted 2 pins with a screwdriver for 1 minute or so (just to be sure) but the password was still there. Then, I tried every possible combination involving the battery, the power cable, the on/off button and RAM. Still, the password was there.

Finally: I completely removed the CMOS battery (it was soldered on the MOBO) and tried all these tricks again (without re-soldering the CMOS). Still, the password is there.

So, what do I do??

Important sidenote
If I insert the AC cable the laptop turns on (screen black) and powers down after ~2 seconds and immediately powers on again and the cycle goes on for ever accompanied by a weird whirring sound coming approximately from the CPU area. So, I can only open the laptop (and get to the BIOS pass screen) only with the battery. Just thought I should mention it because I think this might be related.
Laptop is a Toshiba Satellite L300, it's approximately 7 years old.
Sorry for the long post.

Photos
MOBO1, MOBO2, CMOS1, CMOS2

InsanityCrescendo

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2015

Nice article. Although I didn't find a solution to my problem, I saw some really great information that I didn't know. Apparently there is a secondary secondary battery (associated with the Real Time Clock). Since I can't find it I'm just gonna let the MOBO disconnected from everything for a long time (1 month at least) and hope every last one tiny back up battery discharge. I'm open to better ideas though.

bleepit

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015

Did you even try any of the backdoor passwords? I've tried them on several different BIOS manufacturers and have gotten in every time.

InsanityCrescendo

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2015

I tried all of the passwords in the list. I also tried some others I found. Nothing