Is it safe to have no spacing between GFX cards running SLI?

David Arbiter

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015
Greetings,
I finished my new gaming rig last week and this is the first time I've ever utilized SLI. Although everything runs efficiently, there is one thing that has me concerned so I wanted to ask the (more advanced) community for confirmation and/or advice if needed.

In my build, there is barely ANY spacing between the two GFX cards I installed in SLI (maybe 2-4mm at most). On the motherboard I purchased, the manual clearly states to use PCIE16_1 and PCIE16_3 for optimal performance (as both slots are 16x). There are other PCIE slots but they run at 8x and 4x. I am using the ones identified as 16x. I have SLI enabled in the NVIDIA control panel with most of the settings on the highest possible. Every game I have run with the highest possible settings appear to run perfect, so far.

As you can see in the picture below, there is barely any space between them.

24cy4jr.jpg

After playing Titanfall on the maximum/highest settings for about an hour, here is what I saw in hardware monitor:
My top GPU peaked at 81 degrees Celsius and the fan RPM peaked around 5100. The bottom GPU does not go above 60 degrees or 2400 RPM.

My Computer Specs:
Gigabyte 990FXA UD5 R5 mobo (FX8350 CPU - no overclock)
Dual Zotac GTX 970 Extreme Core Edition
Thermaltake V71 Full Tower (front: 2x 200mm, bottom: 2x 120mm, top 1x 200mm, back 1x 140mm)

-I only listed specs that I think relate to this topic. If any others are needed, let me know.

Being my first time utilizing a SLI configuration, I ultimately just want to make sure my GFX cards will not get damaged or overheat being THAT close together.

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks in advance!

David Arbiter

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015
I thought about removing the back-plate on the bottom card, but I've read elsewhere that it will not change anything - even with the extra space for air to travel. If 81c is not going to damage it, then I suppose it will be fine in the current setup.

TRENDING THREADS