Help: Windows 10 "Something Happened: setup has failed to initialize the working directory"

Status
Not open for further replies.

eeza465

Reputable
Dec 17, 2014
Windows 10 just came out today and I have been attempting to install it on my Windows 8.1 Pro desktop. I was able to get it to work on a Windows 7 Pro with no problems. I have been using the Media Creation Tool that I downloaded straight for Microsoft. Everytime I have run it on my Win 8.1 Pro, after downloading it, it comes up with an error message saying: "Something Happened: setup has failed to initialize the working directory".

I also tried to create a Win10 bootable USB but when I booted to it said my key wouldn't work. I looked over several times and it wasn't wrong. I got this copy of Windows 8.1 Pro from Dreamspark but it is a legitimate version of Windows.

I have also tried updating my Win 8.1, using the Windows Update Diagnostics Tool, and using the "wuauclt.exe /updatenow" thingy. Any suggestions? I have no idea what to do.

EDIT: I also tried deleting the $Windows. ~WS and $Windows. ~BT folders and re-downloading Windows 10 but no avail.

Solution
I also tried to create a Win10 bootable USB but when I booted to it said my key wouldn't work. I looked over several times and it wasn't wrong. I got this copy of Windows 8.1 Pro from Dreamspark but it is a legitimate version of Windows.
You cannot use a Win7/8 key to install 10. The first time you install 10, it must be installed from inside an activated copy of Win7/8. If you're upgrading using media, run setup.exe. It gives you the option to perform a clean install.
You cannot use a Win7/8 key to install 10. The first time you install 10, it must be installed from inside an activated copy of Win7/8. If you're upgrading using media, run setup.exe. It gives you the option to perform a clean install.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.