"Reset this PC" Does "erase all data" delete data on drives other than the C drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArkAngel06

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
So I am one of those people that does a fresh reformat every 5-6 months because it keeps everything running smooth, and I have 5 different hard drives and it's pretty easy to format Windows and keep everything I need.

With the free version of Windows 10, I can see this is going to be somewhat of a headache. I updated, grabbed my new Windows 10 key, and did a true fresh reformat with the Windows 10 media creation tool and USB stick. Everything went well, my new key worked while installing, but once it was done and I went to activate it, it couldn't activate saying "Invalid Key"....I retyped it and double checked it to no avail. So I ended up having to reinstall Windows 8.1, update to Windows 10, and then I was activated again.

So obviously I can't do a true format anymore. That bums me out.

*TLDR* I know they have the tool that allows you to "Reset this PC", and they have a setting that says "Remove Everything, Data, user files, etc"...My question is does this delete stuff on my D,E,F,G drives or just my Windows C Drive?

Thanks

ArkAngel06

Distinguished
May 19, 2009

I thought of this, and it would be the sure way....But my case doesn't make it tremendously easy to unplug my hard drives, and that would really be a pain that should be avoidable.

USAFRet

Titan

Well...you're looking at the difference between "probably OK" and "100% OK".

xmax

Honorable
Dec 17, 2013
Maybe try using the 'skip this step' option when getting to the activation part. Activate through settings once you're in, because it could be a bug just for those parts.. Not sure though, as I haven't experienced this problem.
Good luck.

ArkAngel06

Distinguished
May 19, 2009

If I never get an answer, and end up having to actually do it, I will unplug all my hard drives except C and another one that doesn't really matter so I can test it. Then I will know for the future....

I am just hoping someone already knows the answer and I wouldn't have to do that.

ArkAngel06

Distinguished
May 19, 2009

Well I accidentally chose your reply as the best answer when I was trying to reply, and now I cant revert it. lol

Anyways, most people are saying that you can just update to windows 10 to associate your PC with Windows 10, then you should never have to deal with product keys or activation again, even after a fresh reformat. I didn't really test this, but I should have.

USAFRet

Titan

Yes, this is true.

ArkAngel06

Distinguished
May 19, 2009

Do you know when it asks? Because it doesn't ask at the beginning, and I'm afraid to keep hitting next.

Ranjha Singh

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015

1.What are you trying to do and why are you trying to do it are you willing to lose your all data
2.Reset your pc did not work for me on windows 8 it hardly took care of any problem that's why i jumped to windows 8 first thing yesterday and installed it and activated it
The reason i am saying this is alot of problems to be fixed properly and completely you have to do fresh install from DVD for example it was problem for me because the backup i had on my comp was corrupt
and my computer manufacturer refused to give me the key for my laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS