Buying a new monitor HELP!

mavan123

Reputable
May 9, 2015
For the last few months I have been using a 24 inch TV as my monitor. After building my first pc I didn't have the budget to get a monitor. I now have about 250 $ to buy a monitor. While researching I found the ASUS VG 248QE. The price was good and so were the specs. Right before I bought the monitor I realized that my graphics card ( a GTX 960 ) most likely couldn't run most games @ 144 fps so there wasn't a point in getting a 144 HZ monitor. I read some forums and thy said to just get a 60 HZ monitor. I am wondering if i should still get the ASUS monitor or different one. I need some recommendations for other monitors. I really want a 1080p 24 inch 1ms monitor. Also maybe one with an adjustable stand like the ASUS VG248QE. THANKS

Solution
There's no issue getting a 144hz monitor on a mid range card. If you were buying everything together you might want to shift your budget around a bit, but given you have a budget and you've a monitor that fits it, why not go for it?

There are heaps of really fun games that don't require a high end system. People have heaps of fun with games like League of Legends and Rocket League which will probably both run Vsynced 144fps on your rig and justify that monitor purchase. Properly demanding AAA games like Witcher 3 and the like will absolutely not get towards 144hz, but there's no harm in having a higher frame rate monitor in those cases, it's not a problem.

I can't speak for that particular monitor, I'm not across the reviews for...
There's no issue getting a 144hz monitor on a mid range card. If you were buying everything together you might want to shift your budget around a bit, but given you have a budget and you've a monitor that fits it, why not go for it?

There are heaps of really fun games that don't require a high end system. People have heaps of fun with games like League of Legends and Rocket League which will probably both run Vsynced 144fps on your rig and justify that monitor purchase. Properly demanding AAA games like Witcher 3 and the like will absolutely not get towards 144hz, but there's no harm in having a higher frame rate monitor in those cases, it's not a problem.

I can't speak for that particular monitor, I'm not across the reviews for it, but I have no issues with the principle of buying a 144hz monitor for a system that's only able to pump out high frames on older or less demanding games. I do play and enjoy graphics card crushing titles, but if I look at my gaming habits, a good percentage of my time is spent on very lightweight games that would definitely benefit from a high refresh rate monitor.

Solution

mavan123

Reputable
May 9, 2015