Windows 10 barely working for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmadden048

Reputable
Dec 24, 2014
So.. I upgraded to windows 10, and like usual, I had high expectations.
I am now pretty pissed off.
I installed it, it seemed to work fine and all, then I cant click the taskbar. Literally, cannot click into anything except for Steam and Windows Explorer. No start menu working, no internet applications working. So.. I go to reinstall windows 10, and I get the same shit.
So now that I cannot open up the start menu, I cant even revert back to Windows 7.
My only option now seems to be to just chuck all my shit on my external and do a clean wipe.. Which I don't really want to do but will if needed.

Solution
Do a manual clean install of the most recent graphics drivers. Even after installing the latest NVIDIA drivers, my PC became unresponsive and I had to hit the reset button to reboot Windows. I'm planning on upgrading my motherboard later, so I'll do a clean install anyway. You should do that as well.
Not sure what to tell you...

My Windows Update was fail, fail, fail so I finally downloaded the ISO (RTM version) ran that and it's worked very well thus far aside from issues with missing shortcuts (probably due to W8 not having a Start Menu and W10 doing away with the Metro UI).

I wonder if burning a DVD/USB would work as a repair upgrade or however that works. I've never tried.

Probably a clean install would be best since you've now upgraded though as I'm thinking about it I don't know how you validate that... if I stick in a DVD with RTM W10 for example, wipe the drive and upgrade how does it know I had an activated install before?

Because I couldn't find the W10 activated code.

bmadden048

Reputable
Dec 24, 2014
Might have to try the ISO.. maybe. I have used the tool which converts iso to usb and stuff, didn't do anything though. Hopefully something goes right. Have had no luck with win10 whatsoever.

Im very sure that my hardware is up-to-date drivers. I use my PC basically everyday.

Both AMD and NVIDIA released drivers for Windows 10 about a day ago. It's quite possible you aren't on the current drivers.

Have you even gone through Device Manager to investigate that your hardware has no issues?

Have you looked at the performance tab of the Task Manager to verify you don't have unusually high usage of any particular part of the machine?

bmadden048

Reputable
Dec 24, 2014

Okay. Im on windows 10 as we speak.
I cannot do anything on it, I can run minimal applications. I cannot even open the start menu, as the taskbar is basically rendered useless.
I was on Windows 7, so what im asking as a second question is if I make a backup on Windows 10 will it be recognized in Windows 7.

Also I have none of the problems you listed.

Do a manual clean install of the most recent graphics drivers. Even after installing the latest NVIDIA drivers, my PC became unresponsive and I had to hit the reset button to reboot Windows. I'm planning on upgrading my motherboard later, so I'll do a clean install anyway. You should do that as well.

Solution

theunliked

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014
I had the exact same problems when I upgrade installed windows 10. No start menu. Settings page wouldn't open when I right clicked my desktop and selected display settings. And tons of other annoy problems. I ended up getting microsoft's media creation tool and making an iso. I did a clean install and windows 10 is going awesome. It is living up to my expectations.

bmadden048

Reputable
Dec 24, 2014

Would there be any difference from making an iso and usb boot?
Im just going back to windows 7 for now. 100% less hassle.

Status
Not open for further replies.