Win10 error "Use the other installation disc that says 64-bit. When you insert it, Windows Setup will restart automatically."

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpooley

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2011
I'm trying to upgrade to win 10 from win 7 using the downloaded ISO image . When I run setup.exe , It gives me the message "Use the other installation disc that says 64 bit. When you insert it Windows Setup will restart automatically."

I downloaded and burned the 64 bit version of the Windows 10 ISO file. It will not go past this message screen to complete the installation.

I have double checked I i definitely ran MediaCreationToolx64.exe to download the ISO

I have 77gb spare on my C drive so it should be plenty of room.

if anyone can advise me I would be very grateful

Mike

Solution
Even if you used the MediaCreationToolx64.exe to download the iso you still have to manually select the 64bit version after selecting the language and version you wanted.
Also to note, if you change the language after you selected the 64bit iso it reverts back to 32bit automatically.

kyllien

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
Is your current Windows 7 32 bit? Also, unless you are going to be installing Window 10 on other computers you don't need to make a disk. And you do need to run setup from within Windows 7. You can use the media creation tool to directly upgrade the computer.

ShadyHamster

Distinguished
Even if you used the MediaCreationToolx64.exe to download the iso you still have to manually select the 64bit version after selecting the language and version you wanted.
Also to note, if you change the language after you selected the 64bit iso it reverts back to 32bit automatically.

Solution

thexald

Reputable
Jul 30, 2015

Holy crap, that's so frustrating. I downloaded the installer to my usb FIVE TIMES. I just made this account on here to thank you. That's SO FRUSTRATING why does changing the language change the architecture. That's so subtle I didn't even notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.