Sign in with
Your question

965BE overheating at 75°c!

Last response: in CPUs
July 25, 2011 12:15:40 PM

Hello.

My Amd 965 Black edition c3 is overheating rather badly. just 4 minutes of gta iv freaks out the system and the game crashes, apon checking Hwmonitor i discovered the CPU to have reached a whopping 77°c! Player a newer game, cant say what it is, for about 1 hour and it reached 73°c. It idles at around 55-58!
Do i need to get better cooling? is an h80 good? in terms of a new case is the coolermaster cm690 good?
system specs:
Gigabyte GA-880GMA-UD2H
AMD Phenom II 965 BE RB-C3
The most expensive ram ive ever bought, it was 60€! for 4 gb, kingston Hyperx something.
Palit gts 450.

More about : 965be overheating 75c

July 25, 2011 12:45:20 PM

I'm using a 955 BE with the stock fan that came in the box with it(which was a bitch to mount - I couldnt even use the locking switch) and havent had any trouble with it, tho it is kinda loudish.

Did you attach the heatsink and fan correctly? Stupid question but are you sure the fan is working?
If not, maybe it's just a faulty CPU?
a c 108 à CPUs
a b À AMD
July 25, 2011 12:54:03 PM

Drop your CPU volts to lower temps ... Giga-byte motherboards really tend to over-volt when settings are on 'Auto'

Something in the range of 1.325v (or less) should be fine.

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
July 25, 2011 1:10:27 PM

thanks i will try that and get back to you :) , and yes everything is mounted perfectly, it took me 20 minutes because i studied everything to make sure i knew what i was doing
July 25, 2011 1:34:17 PM

10°c cooler idle gta iv reached 64°c will lowering the volts more improve the temps?
July 25, 2011 1:37:09 PM

I'm running a 965BE too and mine idles at 31C and goes to 62C when I used Prime95 on it. Stock cooler too. I think wisecracker is onto something.
a c 108 à CPUs
a b À AMD
July 26, 2011 12:52:56 AM

f1zz1e said:
10°c cooler idle gta iv reached 64°c will lowering the volts more improve the temps?

You betcha.

C3 steppings are a touch more volt-efficient than the C2s. I've gone as low as 1.2v but you should work your way down in 0.0125v increments testing temps and stability along the way.

July 26, 2011 3:56:13 AM

Thanks wisecracker im using 1,25v now and it hasent gone past 60 yet even in gta iv.
Im still going to buy a corsair h80 though because I want to run at 4Ghz.
I got a really decent one because ive pushed it to 4.4ghz but anything more than that fails with a 64 bit os. I just have one last question for you, is the h80 the best cooler to have for the 965be ?
a b à CPUs
July 26, 2011 7:59:06 AM

brandondiep said:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1683.... If you got room. If you want liquid cooler, make one yourself. In my eyes those pre-built ones are bad.

Look at some reviews before you splash out (pun intended) on a liquid cooler like that. Often, they don't offer performance over a high-end (and cheaper) air cooler and you have the added risk of leakages. It's rare, but do a Google. Do you want to risk all the kit inside your PC?

THe Noctua NH-D14 gets good reviews as an air cooler. The Thermalright Silver Arrow is also equivalent, but cheaper and some comparison have it performing better than the NH-D14. Also, as the SA uses 140mm fans which are PWM, it's likely to be quieter.
July 26, 2011 8:23:24 AM

im not at all worried about the price because i dont mind waiting for stuff, and the link that brandondiep wrote is not working for me sorry.
a b à CPUs
July 26, 2011 8:29:32 AM

f1zz1e said:
im not at all worried about the price because i dont mind waiting for stuff, and the link that brandondiep wrote is not working for me sorry.

NH-D14: http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products...

Silver Arrow: http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/product_page/cpu...

Comparison between the two: http://forums.gametrailers.com/thread/thermalright-silv...

I can't really comment on water-cooling, other than what I've read and how I came to my own decision. I did look at getting a home-built loop, but it was going to cost too much for too little gain compared to air-cooling (IMO). As with anything, you'll find your own best solution. :) 
July 26, 2011 8:42:05 AM

diellur neither of those will fit into my case! reccomendation? micro atx.
a c 138 à CPUs
a b À AMD
July 26, 2011 8:45:42 AM

hyper 212 good performance , cheap and will fit in your case
a b à CPUs
July 26, 2011 8:47:40 AM

f1zz1e said:
diellur neither of those will fit into my case! reccomendation? micro atx.

My first recommendation is to tell us what case you have exactly...there are a range of mATX cases out there. ;)  Just re-read your original post, I thought you had the CM690 (you'd have to double-check if that case would fit them, too). Your options are going to be limited for an after-market cooler in an mATX case.
July 26, 2011 8:54:38 AM

I have a raidmax hurricane. I would not recommend it to anyone else but thats just my opinion. thanks you for all the help so far :) 
a b à CPUs
July 26, 2011 9:01:24 AM

f1zz1e said:
I have a raidmax hurricane. I would not recommend it to anyone else but thats just my opinion. thanks you for all the help so far :) 

Well, that's an ATX case, not a mATX case. ;) 

I think your options are still going to be limited unless you remove the side fan. Unfortunately, the Raidmax site doesn't have a cooler compatibility size that I could see, so you'll need to measure the depth of your case to the side panel from the CPU. The Hyper-212 is a good third option, btw...it's not too tall, it's cheap and has good performance.

Heights:

NH-D14: 160mm
Silver Arrow: 162.7mm
Hyper-212: 158.5mm

Oh, and remember to check if the cooler will fit with your RAM sticks as they overhand the DIMM slots. Each manufacturer website will have a chart, if not a quick Google will find the answer.
July 26, 2011 9:22:53 AM

Uh dont really understand about the ram?
a b à CPUs
July 26, 2011 9:27:32 AM

RAM is about 40mm in height, unless it has heatsinks on it in which case it can be taller. A lot of after-market coolers overhang the DIMM slots where the RAM is mounted. In some instances it's not possible to have RAM installed in the slots that the cooler overhangs. Therefore you need to check the height of your RAM, or go to the cooler manufacturer website and see if they have a RAM compatibility chart with the cooler.
July 26, 2011 9:29:27 AM

ok the maximum height for coolers is going to be 152 MM unfortunately.
a b à CPUs
July 26, 2011 9:32:38 AM

Then you either need to look for a low-profile air cooler or consider water-cooling after all...your case has a 120mm fan at the rear where an H80 radiator could go. Your call. :) 
a c 138 à CPUs
a b À AMD
July 26, 2011 9:34:21 AM

like this, fit or not with install CPU cooler :

Ram under the fan, if you have a ram with Higher heatspreader ( like Corsair Vegeance) then you install the CPU cooler, Sure it will fit ! because the distance Ram Slot and Socket hany several centimeters depending on the brand motherboard.
July 26, 2011 9:36:35 AM

uh so many choices, think ill buy a mac! jk i think i will buy the h80 after all, then i dont have to buy a new case. thanks for all the help
a b à CPUs
July 26, 2011 9:40:26 AM

Happy to help...let us know how you get on. :) 
July 26, 2011 9:44:37 AM

reseat your stock heatsink. it may be loose.
July 26, 2011 11:58:06 AM

Are you sure you have a thermal compound applied between the heatsink and processor?
a c 108 à CPUs
a b À AMD
July 26, 2011 12:46:53 PM

f1zz1e said:
Thanks wisecracker im using 1,25v now and it hasent gone past 60 yet even in gta iv.
Im still going to buy a corsair h80 though because I want to run at 4Ghz.
I got a really decent one because ive pushed it to 4.4ghz but anything more than that fails with a 64 bit os. I just have one last question for you, is the h80 the best cooler to have for the 965be ?

f1zz1e said:
ok the maximum height for coolers is going to be 152 MM unfortunately.

f1zz1e said:
uh so many choices, think ill buy a mac! jk i think i will buy the h80 after all, then i dont have to buy a new case. thanks for all the help

Water cooling does not necessarily improve thermal performance, but it is much more quiet.

I've been eye-balling the CM Hyper TX3 92mm with a second 92mm fan for a push-pull configuration for around $30 total.

- 139mm tall
- blows across FETs to rear case fan
- no issues with RAM clearance

Hyper TX3 web page from CM

a b à CPUs
July 26, 2011 12:49:08 PM

Wisecracker said:
Water cooling does not necessarily improve thermal performance, but it is much more quiet.

I'd read the individual reviews regarding the noise. I've read that the H50, for example, can be quite noisy. Not to contradict (in general, you are of course correct!) but worth pointing out with these packaged CPU water-cooling units. :) 
a c 108 à CPUs
a b À AMD
July 26, 2011 12:59:46 PM

diellur said:
I'd read the individual reviews regarding the noise. I've read that the H50, for example, can be quite noisy. Not to contradict (in general, you are of course correct!) but worth pointing out with these packaged CPU water-cooling units. :) 

Yup -- he should not have issues with the H80 though.

There are a bunch of 92mm coolers at ScanUK that should work for a push-pull --- I'm not seeing the CM TX3, however :( 

July 26, 2011 2:29:45 PM

ok so i ordered the h80, went out outside for 3 hours, had lunch and when i got back into my room, the cat was sitting between my 2 screens purring. I shook the mouse to wake the pc up, but there was nothing. its just dead. powered off, checked all the cables, all ok. powered back on, no image on either screen. unplugged gts 450. then tried using vga and hmdi with the onboard gfx. nothing. then took everything out of the case, disconnected everything and reconnected it again, can you guess what happened? yep nothing.
oh i also applied new thermal compound and re-mounted the stock cooler.
anybody got any ideas for me? mobo is in the op
a b à CPUs
July 26, 2011 2:38:14 PM

You say it powered back on...so fans are turning, HDD spools up etc? Are there any beeps from the system (which will depend on your tower coming with a speaker, I guess!)
a c 108 à CPUs
a b À AMD
July 26, 2011 2:38:30 PM

Reset the CMOS and load optimized defaults in the BIOS ??

Then boot into the BIOS and reset your boot sequence and HDD setup.

July 26, 2011 2:42:08 PM

you are going to have to tell me how to reset the cmos. strange thing is there are no beeps from the system, i just plugged in the speaker to check, even if i take out the ram ? is that normal?
a b à CPUs
July 26, 2011 2:58:04 PM

If there's no beep, that suggests a problem with the PSU, the motherboard or that the CPU is broken/not seated correctly (try re-seating it if you've been re-applying thermal paste). Double-check you've connected the speaker correctly, too.
July 26, 2011 3:04:44 PM

double ckecked the speaker and it seems that the cpu fan is not spinning either.
:( 
a b à CPUs
July 26, 2011 3:10:00 PM

Are there any other fans in the system...if so, are they stationary or spinning? What about LEDs/diodes on the motherboard...are ones that are generally lit up now dark?

If there's no sign of power, then it's either your PSU or your motherboard. If you have another PSU handy, you can try testing that. Doesn't sound promising...if I were you, I'd cancel that H80 for the time being. :( 
July 26, 2011 3:10:33 PM

Oh yay i fixed it! i reset the cmos and then i powered on and i heard the speaker go "beep" and then the screen came on, then i chose load defaults or whatever, then i chose to boot into windows 7, now it works :)  thanks diellur and wisecracker .
a b à CPUs
July 26, 2011 3:12:36 PM

That's a relief!! :) 
July 26, 2011 3:22:32 PM

geuss what happened diellur? when i restarted my pc it stopped working again but reseting the cmos again fixed it???
a b à CPUs
July 26, 2011 3:30:52 PM

Sounds like a knackered motherboard...
July 26, 2011 3:49:18 PM

it seems to be working now :p  oh well i geuss i will buy a new mobo when the bulldozer comes out, thanks guys. solved!
a c 108 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 2, 2011 12:17:50 AM

f1zz1e said:
it seems to be working now :p  oh well i geuss i will buy a new mobo when the bulldozer comes out, thanks guys. solved!

You may have dropped your cpu volts one notch too low. Try 1.275v or so.

When the volts are too low it can lock up when waking from sleep and corrupt the BIOS. Glad you figured out the reset.

If you tweak it's a necessity :lol: 

!