965BE overheating at 75°c!

f1zz1e

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
Hello.

My Amd 965 Black edition c3 is overheating rather badly. just 4 minutes of gta iv freaks out the system and the game crashes, apon checking Hwmonitor i discovered the CPU to have reached a whopping 77°c! Player a newer game, cant say what it is, for about 1 hour and it reached 73°c. It idles at around 55-58!
Do i need to get better cooling? is an h80 good? in terms of a new case is the coolermaster cm690 good?
system specs:
Gigabyte GA-880GMA-UD2H
AMD Phenom II 965 BE RB-C3
The most expensive ram ive ever bought, it was 60€! for 4 gb, kingston Hyperx something.
Palit gts 450.

Xionor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
I'm using a 955 BE with the stock fan that came in the box with it(which was a bitch to mount - I couldnt even use the locking switch) and havent had any trouble with it, tho it is kinda loudish.

Did you attach the heatsink and fan correctly? Stupid question but are you sure the fan is working?
If not, maybe it's just a faulty CPU?

f1zz1e

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
thanks i will try that and get back to you :), and yes everything is mounted perfectly, it took me 20 minutes because i studied everything to make sure i knew what i was doing

Engima

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
I'm running a 965BE too and mine idles at 31C and goes to 62C when I used Prime95 on it. Stock cooler too. I think wisecracker is onto something.

You betcha.

C3 steppings are a touch more volt-efficient than the C2s. I've gone as low as 1.2v but you should work your way down in 0.0125v increments testing temps and stability along the way.

f1zz1e

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
Thanks wisecracker im using 1,25v now and it hasent gone past 60 yet even in gta iv.
Im still going to buy a corsair h80 though because I want to run at 4Ghz.
I got a really decent one because ive pushed it to 4.4ghz but anything more than that fails with a 64 bit os. I just have one last question for you, is the h80 the best cooler to have for the 965be ?

brandondiep

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608018. If you got room. If you want liquid cooler, make one yourself. In my eyes those pre-built ones are bad.

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011

Look at some reviews before you splash out (pun intended) on a liquid cooler like that. Often, they don't offer performance over a high-end (and cheaper) air cooler and you have the added risk of leakages. It's rare, but do a Google. Do you want to risk all the kit inside your PC?

THe Noctua NH-D14 gets good reviews as an air cooler. The Thermalright Silver Arrow is also equivalent, but cheaper and some comparison have it performing better than the NH-D14. Also, as the SA uses 140mm fans which are PWM, it's likely to be quieter.

f1zz1e

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
im not at all worried about the price because i dont mind waiting for stuff, and the link that brandondiep wrote is not working for me sorry.

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011

NH-D14: http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=34&lng=en

Silver Arrow: http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/product_page/cpu/silver_arrow/product_cpu_silver_arrow.html

Comparison between the two: http://forums.gametrailers.com/thread/thermalright-silver-arrow-vs-n/1110757

I can't really comment on water-cooling, other than what I've read and how I came to my own decision. I did look at getting a home-built loop, but it was going to cost too much for too little gain compared to air-cooling (IMO). As with anything, you'll find your own best solution. :)

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011

My first recommendation is to tell us what case you have exactly...there are a range of mATX cases out there. ;) Just re-read your original post, I thought you had the CM690 (you'd have to double-check if that case would fit them, too). Your options are going to be limited for an after-market cooler in an mATX case.

f1zz1e

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
I have a raidmax hurricane. I would not recommend it to anyone else but thats just my opinion. thanks you for all the help so far :)

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011

Well, that's an ATX case, not a mATX case. ;)

I think your options are still going to be limited unless you remove the side fan. Unfortunately, the Raidmax site doesn't have a cooler compatibility size that I could see, so you'll need to measure the depth of your case to the side panel from the CPU. The Hyper-212 is a good third option, btw...it's not too tall, it's cheap and has good performance.

Heights:

NH-D14: 160mm
Silver Arrow: 162.7mm
Hyper-212: 158.5mm

Oh, and remember to check if the cooler will fit with your RAM sticks as they overhand the DIMM slots. Each manufacturer website will have a chart, if not a quick Google will find the answer.

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
RAM is about 40mm in height, unless it has heatsinks on it in which case it can be taller. A lot of after-market coolers overhang the DIMM slots where the RAM is mounted. In some instances it's not possible to have RAM installed in the slots that the cooler overhangs. Therefore you need to check the height of your RAM, or go to the cooler manufacturer website and see if they have a RAM compatibility chart with the cooler.

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
Then you either need to look for a low-profile air cooler or consider water-cooling after all...your case has a 120mm fan at the rear where an H80 radiator could go. Your call. :)

like this, fit or not with install CPU cooler :

Noctua_D14_intel_ram_sm.jpg

Ram under the fan, if you have a ram with Higher heatspreader ( like Corsair Vegeance) then you install the CPU cooler, Sure it will fit ! because the distance Ram Slot and Socket hany several centimeters depending on the brand motherboard.

f1zz1e

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
uh so many choices, think ill buy a mac! jk i think i will buy the h80 after all, then i dont have to buy a new case. thanks for all the help