Tried to dual boot windows 7 and windows 10, can access 10 fine but i cant use 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

iusepc

Reputable
Jul 30, 2015
I (stupidly) attempted to dual boot windows 10 and windows 7, for the sake that, I could test out windows 10 while keeping my old OS. it installs fine, I boot into windows 10 and everything was good. I restart my pc, click windows 7 and it comes up with the recovery section. I use the automatic solution, it says it cant find anything wrong with windows 7 boot (I start getting worried at this point). I boot back into windows 10, and i find out that when I installed windows 10 (on the same hard drive as windows 7) it had overwritten windows 7 drive letter. I'm assuming that the drive letter being changed is the source of the problem. however, when i try to change the drive letter, it errors with "incorrect parameter". I'm guessing this is windows not letting me overwrite the current drive letter. basically i need to change windows 7 drive letter.

TL;DR tried to dual boot win 10 and win 7, win 10 messed up win 7's drive letter, need to find a way to change it

Scibility

Reputable
Jun 26, 2015
have you tried system recovery? or reverse the upgrade? theres a option in windows 10 that you can reverse the upgrade within a month of the install, once done that burn windows 10 on a cd and make a second partition upon reinstalling. hope this helps

iusepc

Reputable
Jul 30, 2015

i probably should have included this, but it slipped my mind. the windows 7 is OEM and the windows 10 was downloaded from microsofts insider program. and ive tried system recovery but it didnt do anything :c

The operating system you're using currently will ALWAYS use C: as the OS drive, it doesn't change it for the other operating system.
Did you create a separate partition for windows 10 before you tried to install it?
Did you install windows 7 first?
Did you actually buy a separate copy of windows 10, and not try to use the free upgrade, because you can't dual boot an upgrade.

iusepc

Reputable
Jul 30, 2015
I Did indeed create a separate partition before installing windows 10. my windows 7 came preinstalled on my pc as OEM. and i downloaded windows 10 from the windows insider program.

iusepc

Reputable
Jul 30, 2015
oh crap, accidentally clicked it as the solution. and ive tried to restore to a previous restore point, restarting. im going to see if moving windows 7 over to my other harddrive then booting the harddrive in BIOS

FYI, you can't move an OS, only clone the drive/partition it's on to another drive.
Restore points usually only work the first time you're given the choice, after words it just restores to the last time you restarted/shutdown.

Status
Not open for further replies.