Secondary HDD not turning off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ibritumomab

Reputable
Jul 30, 2015
Hey guys,

I upgraded from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro yesterday and so far everything works great, the only problem is that my secondary HDD always stays on.
I have a 128GB SSD as my main drive and an 750GB HDD as my secondary drive for games, pictures and stuff. Since the latter runs at 7200rpm and is quite loud and my laptop is otherwise pretty much completely silent (when I turn the fan on stealth mode) I had created a power profile for studying that turns off hard drives after 1 minute of not using them and with windows 7 that worked just fine.
Now though, my secondary HDD never turns off. I checked task manager and ressource monitor and found that my pagefile was on my secondary so I moved that to my SSD, but now it still doesn't turn off, even when Task manager and ressource manager tell me nothing has accessed it for several minutes.

Do you guys have any other idea what might be causing this or how to fix this?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Firstly, run an antivirus, just to be on the safe side.
Next, was your power profile correctly moved over to the new upgrade?
Finally, run check disk.

Open Explorer, right click on the C: drive and choose Properties, choose the Tools tab and click on "Check now..." under Error checking area.

Hope this helps!

-JP

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
Firstly, run an antivirus, just to be on the safe side.
Next, was your power profile correctly moved over to the new upgrade?
Finally, run check disk.

Open Explorer, right click on the C: drive and choose Properties, choose the Tools tab and click on "Check now..." under Error checking area.

Hope this helps!

-JP

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.