Win 10 partitioning and product key

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonkelis357

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013
Hi, so I havent updated an OS since Win 7, so Im kind of scared. I know that I will recieve a automatic update as in with a launcher but heres the question. How do I perform a clean install? Do I need to upgrade first and then burn the OS in to a USB and update through that? Wont I require a product key? Also will it mess up my partition? I have it at 300gb for the C drive and 700 for the D drive. (I have win 7 Ultimate legaly, the update icon says I still need to wait and I will but I found the files in my C drive). Sorry for the typos, english isint my native language.
Thank you

Solution
I think what's supposed to happen is you upgrade and the system issues a generic Windows 10 key depending on the version of Windows 10, then when you activate Windows 10, you'll get a unique product key but there seems to be a few problems with activating and then when you do manage to activate, a unique key isn't being issued and you're stuck with the generic one. The only workaround at the moment is to call Microsoft support.

You can do a clean install, because your reservation of Windows 10 is tied to your Microsoft account, you'll just need to skip past the activation, you can download the media creation tool here - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

All of your partitions will be alright if you just do...

anti-duck

Honorable
I think what's supposed to happen is you upgrade and the system issues a generic Windows 10 key depending on the version of Windows 10, then when you activate Windows 10, you'll get a unique product key but there seems to be a few problems with activating and then when you do manage to activate, a unique key isn't being issued and you're stuck with the generic one. The only workaround at the moment is to call Microsoft support.

You can do a clean install, because your reservation of Windows 10 is tied to your Microsoft account, you'll just need to skip past the activation, you can download the media creation tool here - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

All of your partitions will be alright if you just do the upgrade.

Solution

anti-duck

Honorable
And my Windows 10 literally just updated to a new product key :D Time to do a clean install tomorrow.

Just for anyone that might stumble on this thread, these are the generic product keys -

Windows 10 Home - YTMG3-N6DKC-DKB77-7M9GH-8HVX7
Windows 10 Pro - VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T
Windows 10 Home SL- BT79Q-G7N6G-PGBYW-4YWX6-6F4BT
Windows 10 Pro VL-MAK - QJNXR-7D97Q-K7WH4-RYWQ8-6MT6Y

You can check your product key after activation by saving this script -

Code:
Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
MsgBox ConvertToKey(WshShell.RegRead("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DigitalProductId"))

Function ConvertToKey(Key)
Const KeyOffset = 52
i = 28
Chars = "BCDFGHJKMPQRTVWXY2346789"
Do
Cur = 0
x = 14
Do
Cur = Cur * 256
Cur = Key(x + KeyOffset) + Cur
Key(x + KeyOffset) = (Cur \ 24) And 255
Cur = Cur Mod 24
x = x -1
Loop While x >= 0
i = i -1
KeyOutput = Mid(Chars, Cur + 1, 1) & KeyOutput
If (((29 - i) Mod 6) = 0) And (i <> -1) Then
i = i -1
KeyOutput = "-" & KeyOutput
End If
Loop While i >= 0
ConvertToKey = KeyOutput
End Function

with the .vbs extension and if it matches a generic key after activation, you can either call Microsoft support to be issued a license or just wait it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.