Can't connect internet to anything but Edge browser

PhantomXS

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2013
I just installed Windows 10 Pro and I don't have internet on Google Chrome,Mozila Firefox,Steam,Spotify, etc.

I can only go on internet when using Microsoft Edge,and the computer said that it has connected to the internet when I put the cursor over the internet icon.

Please help

Solution

I had the same problem. What helped me was starting CMD (command prompt) as Administrator and then type: netsh winsock reset

Finally reset the computer. I hope it helps you as well.

PhantomXS

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2013
PS. All the google services appear to be working. As in it's connect only to google's ports, I am able to connect to my gmail from thunderbird but other softwares don't connect similarly

Kardalandia

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015

I had the same problem. What helped me was starting CMD (command prompt) as Administrator and then type: netsh winsock reset

Finally reset the computer. I hope it helps you as well.

Solution

Kardalandia

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015
You need to right click "cmd" application and select that run as Administrator. It is NOT enough that user account is administrator, you still need to select that app is executed with admin rights.

PhantomXS

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2013

Thanks! That worked like a charm :)

M_Bush

Reputable
Aug 28, 2015

M_Bush

Reputable
Aug 28, 2015
I tried all the suggested solutions. Worked partially.
In my case, a permanent and 100%-working solution (with all the browsers) was to uninstall the UAG.
I had it already before the upgrade to Win10. Win10 upgrade did not remove it. But it does not work in Win10.

robert leleu

Reputable
Sep 23, 2015

Works also for Windows 10 personal.

Grugator

Commendable
Mar 19, 2016

Thanks..Worked for me in Win 10 Home

jimmy--ch

Commendable
Sep 12, 2016

Thanks man, installed a corrupt VPN app and screwed up my network settings. Although I had to do it twice for some reason.

yung mao

Commendable
Oct 13, 2016

Worked Like a Charm.... Very very happy

Newbie1980z

Commendable
Oct 26, 2016

I was sweating and confused, I said to myself I messed up and now I am condemned to surf with Edge... but then I read your reply here and all went so easy!!!
thanks a lot... it worked with ease for me!!!!!!

LAnsh

Prominent
Feb 26, 2017

i was just having this problem and again, your solution helped me so thanks!
btw, why only the Microsoft Edge that could work?

fsosc1

Prominent
Jul 21, 2017

I did as suggested and also restarted the computer as advised but had no luck.
Also, nothing will update--Avast, Malwarebytes, Windows. It says I am not connected but I am.

Jun 7, 2019
I have the excact same problem. I just installed a clean, legit version of windows 10 pro, on a brand new computer and nothing is willing to connect to the internet except for Microsoft Edge. I can also just play games and everything, but I simply can't browse on anything but edge. I have tried literally everything, including the solution mentioned above, but nothing works. Not even a complete reinstall of windows.

I really don't know what to do and I am about to throw this entire device in the ditch.

TT33GFC

Reputable
Dec 2, 2019
Had this happen to me today. Malwarebytes did an update, rebooted my computer and could not access the internet on Chrome or Firefox, but all was fine on Edge.

I assumed Malwarebytes had done something when it updated, so stopped it but that made no difference.

After trying a few things what fixed it was stopping windows firewall, starting the browsers (internet access worked) and then starting the windows firewall!? After that all was good. Rebooted just to make sure, and all was fine.