Cant make partition on my C drive to dule boot windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Novis

Reputable
Jul 30, 2015
So I have a 128gb 840 evo ssd as my C drive and then a WD caviar Blue as a mass storage drive . So with windows 10 just coming out and it being free I thought I would duel boot it with windows 7(currently running) and went and cleared out a bunch of old games and programs and ended up the 47 gb free so I would have space to make a partition and have a little room after that. then once I tried to shrink the volume it says the maximum i can shrink it is 129mb. so I tried on my HDD and it worked just fine being able to shrink it 600GB(the remaining storage).

System Specs
i5 4570k
EVGA GTX 760
128gb 840evo ssd
1tb WD Caviar Blue
EVGA supernova G2 750 watt
16gb corsair vengeance 1600 ddr3

Solution
If you bought another Windows 7 license, you could dual boot. Don't know why you'd want to, though. You can buy a Windows 10 license straight from Microsoft that means you don't need to install 7 then install 10 over the top.

Microsoft's tools are very focused on keeping your data safe, and don't like to do things that could potentially endanger it. You generally need to use a third-party tool to shrink partitions, because the data is spread out along the partition rather than right at the beginning, so some needs to be moved.

GParted is my advice: http://gparted.org/download.php

Matt Novis

Reputable
Jul 30, 2015
so if I bought another license from windows 7 would it still be possible to duel boot and I still have the problem of the VERY limited partition size that I can make which is still my primary concern.

If you bought another Windows 7 license, you could dual boot. Don't know why you'd want to, though. You can buy a Windows 10 license straight from Microsoft that means you don't need to install 7 then install 10 over the top.

Microsoft's tools are very focused on keeping your data safe, and don't like to do things that could potentially endanger it. You generally need to use a third-party tool to shrink partitions, because the data is spread out along the partition rather than right at the beginning, so some needs to be moved.

GParted is my advice: http://gparted.org/download.php

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.