Win7 to Win 10 - OS SSD drive and different HDD programs drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiptouz

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2006
If I do a win10 update from Win7 will Windows 10 still recognize that all my programs are on a different drive? Does Win10 convert the registry over so that I will not have to reinstall all my programs again? Anyone upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 with a similar setup?

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

Temp files and Profile, I can see that causing problems.
But Download and Library folders? I've not seen that being a problem. I haven't yet done it on a system like that, but I've not read any issues with it.

If you have a link, I'd love to see it.

<< Happened to me when I did it on my SSD + HDD Alienware m17x R2. 10 would error on install and took some jogging of my memory but I remembered that happened before in Windows when I did split partitions, where profile (library) and other resources were on a 'second' drive letter and wouldn't upgrade.

So I moved my profile over to C and it hung on a new error. So I cleared my download, all data folders to a backup (Music, Movies and such) then just put 'empty' directories on C and point to them as the Library main folders. That did the trick and installed flawlessly.

Major pain in my arse as I had to do alot of refile management especially as I am on SATA II which just slowed down everything moving hundreds of GBs of data back and forth.

USAFRet

Titan

The Profile I can see causing issues.
And you're not really supposed to move that whole thing anyway.

I'm going to try it over the weekend on my HTPC that has just the Libraries redirected. We'll see how it goes.

Solution
Well the main reasons I did that is with Win7 forward, alot of the data of games (I have nearly a TB from Steam) is default dumped to Documents, even updates and install files it needs to go back to in a few cases (I hate Origin / EA!!!). Further the 'cache' directories for programs don't default to temp like back in XP, so they all are under your C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local and then Roaming , like when I am on Second Life, or downloading patches, and so on... so much stuff gets 'dumped' under your profile since 7 was released now.

I discovered that by still using Steffen Gerlach's 2002 Drive Scanner program and seeing in pie chart then 'digging down' and watching how much is used in each directory. I was quite surprised how things are 'delivered' to my computer. For example Good Ole Games (GOG.COM) when you buy games only downloads and sources the download (when the game looks for where it needs source files) under your Local folder under a GOG folder. Was really shocked how things were dumped under profile directories these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.