A couple of windows 10 issues (audio from headphones and speakers, high memory usage usage)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drunkenmunkey

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
Hey guys,

I upgraded my Alienware M14xR2 and am having a few issues with it. I think it may be party because I got impatient and used the media creation tool.

This one is more important to fix to me because it's pissing me off lol. I have Sound Blaster Recon3Di built in to PC and I think that is what is causing the problem...
I don't have the control panel anymore. It gave me a blank screen in their control panel. I followed instructions and tried tor reinstall the drivers.

This didn't work because the damn setup program couldn't detect the hardware in my computer. I tried to set the speakers to defaults but that didn't work either.I think it's not working because Soundblaster hasn't updated their drivers to window 10 yet.

Anyone have any suggestions for me to try out? Or a way I can solely use my headphone jack until a update comes?

Problem number 2: MsMpEng.exe takes up a good 20-25% of memory.

This seems to be something related to Windows Defender. I already tried to add an exclusion in windows defender but it didn't seem to work. It pops up as "Antimalware Service Executable" in task manager.

I have 8 gbs of ram currently, the other 8 died, causing endless bsods,so I took it out and I ordered another 8.

If you can provide any help with either of the two issues I'm having, that would be great! Thank you in advance.

Solution
Using the media creation tool shouldn't make a difference. A few things for you to check, based on the info in your post. Firstly, go download the motherboard drivers for your mobo and make sure they are absolutely up to date. That's the first place to start when it comes to sound issues post-update, in my book. Second, if you don't have access to control panel, or other major features of Windows 10, be sure your Microsoft Account is tied to your OS. MS has a good KB on this here:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_security/how-to-connect-to-a-microsoft-account-in-windows/c1614fe6-a9cd-4723-a9e0-7293d9cdfd4a

Hope this helps!

-JP

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
Using the media creation tool shouldn't make a difference. A few things for you to check, based on the info in your post. Firstly, go download the motherboard drivers for your mobo and make sure they are absolutely up to date. That's the first place to start when it comes to sound issues post-update, in my book. Second, if you don't have access to control panel, or other major features of Windows 10, be sure your Microsoft Account is tied to your OS. MS has a good KB on this here:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_security/how-to-connect-to-a-microsoft-account-in-windows/c1614fe6-a9cd-4723-a9e0-7293d9cdfd4a

Hope this helps!

-JP

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.