GTX 750 ti Black Screen with UnderScore or Freeze Computer at boot

Rodolfo Sandoval

Reputable
Jul 30, 2015
So I recently Formated my system and the GPU sstopped working it was working before but now when i try using it just boots and freezes the computer when loading i have looked all across the internet for answers but nothing works
Things I've Tried:
-Bios is updated
-Fresh install of system
-Removing any other Display drivers such as AMD of my computer completely
-safe boot
Things i think may being causing the error but I'm sure:
-Legacy boot is on
-Secure Boot is off
-Sata is set to read IDE becuase it wont work on RAID or AHCI
*The reason I have theis setting is because my computer wont boot AHCI and requies me to use IDE but to use IDE Legacy boot must be on and Secure Boot need to be off becuase thats required to use Legacy I dont know if the GPU its self is broken it was working 24 hrs ago, the fan still spins when i connect it.
Bios Setup is HP's so I don't know if theres other setting i can try to change to fix this.
Currently trying to see if i can get Sata to Read AHCI so i can turn off Legacy Boot and turn on Secure boot.

Specs:
Mobo: Ms-7778 v1.0
12Gb Ram
AMD CPU Don't think that matters
2tb Storage
exact GPU: 02G-P4-3751-KR
it does not extra power from power supply

Solution
You've joined the ranks of quite a few other HP owners that can't run the 'new' UEFI BIOS of the Maxwell GPU-equipped GTX 750/750 Ti. But I'm surprised a PC that late would have that issue. Usually, it is the older HP models. I presume you remembered to move your video cable from the integrated to the card?

Did you have another card in use before, or were you using integrated?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
You've joined the ranks of quite a few other HP owners that can't run the 'new' UEFI BIOS of the Maxwell GPU-equipped GTX 750/750 Ti. But I'm surprised a PC that late would have that issue. Usually, it is the older HP models. I presume you remembered to move your video cable from the integrated to the card?

Did you have another card in use before, or were you using integrated?

Solution

Rodolfo Sandoval

Reputable
Jul 30, 2015

yes my video cable is in the right place or else I wouldn't be able to see the screen blinking or freezing, So you think it could be the Bios causing this because I've tried everything and I've concluded that its that GPU is not working I posted this exact info over at EVGA and they recommended that unless I could test the GPU on another system that I do a request an RMA as I still have warranty on the product. I used hp support to update the bios and everything else to the latest version. I think its the card because I everything works without it. If it's the UEFI what can I do about that is there any solutions to this at all.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
It could well be just a defective card. I find it hard to believe that the UEFI BIOS would give even an HP PC fits since yours is so recent. And with the latest motherboard BIOS, you should be fine. If you can't find another card to test on your machine or another machine to test the current card in, I guess you have no recourse other than to RMA it to the retailer or back to Evga if it is too late for an exchange.

The only work-around for those older HPs that have trouble is one of the MSI cards that have a Dual-BIOS switch on them. It allows switching the card to legacy BIOS if your PC doesn't recognize the card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=MSI+GAMING+GTX+750&N=-1&isNodeId=1

But I wouldn't advise jumping on that until you know for sure the problem isn't your board.

Rodolfo Sandoval

Reputable
Jul 30, 2015

Okay, well I'm considering having to start a new build considering how messed up my system is right now it won't boot unless I have legacy on.
If I do grab another GPU should I Avoid the Maxwell type cards?