Microsoft Edge and Tom's Hardware Notifications

olsaltydog

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
Been using Microsoft's new Edge for browsing and noticed that here on Toms Hardware forums that I will have constant notifications. Right now the notifications says zero, but as soon as I move my mouse cursor over the 0 number it repopulates to 3 old threads I was following. Have tried unfollowing those threads and I also when into the notifications panel and marked all threads read. The panel resets to 0 but if my cursor gets over it, the 3 notifications reappears. Tested in Google Chrome and the issue is not present at all. Chrome shows zero and stays at zero. When I get a new notification it updates to the proper count and after I look at the it correctly resets to 0.

Mods, was not sure where you wanted me to put this or if you wanted a ticket opened or something. Either way hope this helps getting things flowing in the right direction for everyone.

Solution
Interesting. Moving this over to 'Forum Feedback' so it doesn't get lost in the flood of W10 threads. Edge is new and any issues you run into are likely to be on their end, but I will pass this along so we can double check our side just in case. Will get back to you when I hear back.

In the meantime, a cache clear usually helps with little errors like that. Couldn't hurt to try, right? Let me know if you have any further developments on this!

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
Interesting. Moving this over to 'Forum Feedback' so it doesn't get lost in the flood of W10 threads. Edge is new and any issues you run into are likely to be on their end, but I will pass this along so we can double check our side just in case. Will get back to you when I hear back.

In the meantime, a cache clear usually helps with little errors like that. Couldn't hurt to try, right? Let me know if you have any further developments on this!

Solution

olsaltydog

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
Clearing the cache and then marking all threads as read seemed to have taking care of the issue or at least allowed it to update properly. No more updates so for now seems to be cleared.

Not to open new thread: Notification counter is not updated properly under both IE and Edge. On other browsers I am using (Chrome, FF) as long I open a followed post, the notification counter decreases, and that post does not appear in the list of new posts.

On both Edge and IE, however, it could take an hour (or close/open the browser) to update that info, which is boring, to say the least.

olsaltydog

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
Mine has been cleared since the above steps that I have taken and has been working fine since. I know this doesn't help you as I am sure you already cleared your cache and then marked all thread as read.

This might be a longer method or something to try but have you stopped tracking any older threads to see if an older thread may be causing the issue. I experienced this before in another forum I use where an old deleted thread was still trying to give me notices to new posts but I could not access the thread as it was deleted and this was giving me the issues.

TRENDING THREADS