Windows update messed my wifi drivers up

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hey Tom's Hardware,

I purchased a laptop less than a month ago which happens to be an Acer Aspire E5-573G-59C3.
Now, I updated to Windows 10 yesterday, like I'd imagine many others have too, however my wifi no longer works. I have no idea to install the drivers as they are not on Acer's site, or on Qualcomm's site. My wireless card is a Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 AC, I found some drivers on a sketchy czech site and it is nothing but .dll files, .sys files, and .dfu files. I have no idea how to use those type of files or install them. I was wondering if anyone knows where I could either get an .exe that is not a virus, or could help me install these files onto my laptop.

Thanks.

Solution
You don't have a choice with Windows 10... you can't tun it off.

Windows 10 Home: Installs Updates automatically for:

Windows Security Updates
Hardware Driver Updates
Windows Feature Additions

Windows 10 Pro: Installs Updates automatically for:

Windows Security Updates
Hardware Driver Updates
Windows Feature Additions (Can be turned off)

Acer doesn't have the original drivers ?

Upgrading hardware to a new OS is never a great idea. It's almost always slower and leads to exactly these types of problems. Before "upgrading" .... if it can be called that since almost always machine goes slower (tho Windows 10 promises otherwise, they said the same thing about 8 which proved to be false) ... you should always:

1. Make sure that...
Windows 10 takes over hardware driver installations, installing manufacturer;s drivers oft result in Windows 10 Update just uninstalling them and installing what it wants.

We warned all our users and peeps we had built machines for not to upgrade. Most common problem I am seeings is WU puts in an update that breaks something, user installs correct diver .... all is right with the world again and then WU uninstalls the working driver and puts in the one it wants breaking things again. If you can identify the offending update

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/07/27/windows-10-automatic-update-security-problems/2/

Over the weekend the company released KB3073930, a standalone patch (yes, it isn’t available through Windows Update) which allows users to ‘Show or hide updates’. In plain English: it stops certain updates from being installed.

KB3073930 works by displaying available updates in a checklist and any you select will not be installed. The problem is this method isn’t overly practical as you can only uninstall updates which have already been installed. If one messed up your monitor, keyboard, mouse or stopped your PC from booting up then it is too late to remove it.

G

I appreciate the reply but this doesn't exactly help my cause, as I don't use the windows update- I meant updating windows from 8.1 to 10, my apologizes. I just cannot find the wireless driver from any site other than .dlls and other files I am clueless using.

You don't have a choice with Windows 10... you can't tun it off.

Windows 10 Home: Installs Updates automatically for:

Windows Security Updates
Hardware Driver Updates
Windows Feature Additions

Windows 10 Pro: Installs Updates automatically for:

Windows Security Updates
Hardware Driver Updates
Windows Feature Additions (Can be turned off)

Acer doesn't have the original drivers ?

Upgrading hardware to a new OS is never a great idea. It's almost always slower and leads to exactly these types of problems. Before "upgrading" .... if it can be called that since almost always machine goes slower (tho Windows 10 promises otherwise, they said the same thing about 8 which proved to be false) ... you should always:

1. Make sure that there are Windows 10 drivers for all of your hardware components.
2. Make sure that there are Windows 10 drivers for all of your peripherals.
3. Wait some time (3 months recommended) and let all the early adopters bleed and upgrade only when you know that the problems others with your hardware faced, have had those problems resolved.

In Win 10, MS is taking over hardware driver installs..... a more extremely bad idea I can not image ..... If iut installs a bad driver, and you uninstall it, install the correct working driver... then Windows Update, without any input from you and w/o any way for you to stop it, will uninstall your "fix" and reinstall the bad driver all over again.

This is detailed in the link I posted.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.