Slow Boot After Windows 10 Upgrade Failing

Status
Not open for further replies.

thegameking

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
I upgraded to windows 10 today. but the update failed and I got a boot phase error. soon after my system reverted back to windows 7, but it took 4 minutes for my system to actually get to the welcome screen, and it's been doing that since my attempt at upgrading, could this be a result of hard drive falliure or just the OS? should I do a clean install?

Solution
Try performing a System Restore operation in Windows 7 to a time before the upgrade. You may also have experienced some file corruption, so open an elevated command prompt in Windows 7 and run "chkdsk /f" and "sfc /scannow." It's unlikely that the OS installation itself damaged your hard drive, but there is the possibility that it could be old and only now is exhibiting symptoms of failure.

In any case, a full reinstall of Windows 7 will generally fix any software-related slowdown. If it does not, consider checking on your hard drive. Also, do not clean-install Windows 10 yet, because if the installation failed, then Windows 10 was not activated.

Slashgeek

Admirable
Try performing a System Restore operation in Windows 7 to a time before the upgrade. You may also have experienced some file corruption, so open an elevated command prompt in Windows 7 and run "chkdsk /f" and "sfc /scannow." It's unlikely that the OS installation itself damaged your hard drive, but there is the possibility that it could be old and only now is exhibiting symptoms of failure.

In any case, a full reinstall of Windows 7 will generally fix any software-related slowdown. If it does not, consider checking on your hard drive. Also, do not clean-install Windows 10 yet, because if the installation failed, then Windows 10 was not activated.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.