hi would it be possible to dual boot windows 10 32 bit and 64 bit and then dump the 32 bit installation

BluArtistEyes

Reputable
Aug 19, 2015
I get why he/she would want to do this, since windows 10 64bit will not run any 16bit installers and if I'm not wrong 32 bit will. I searched google to no avail there was a custom made installer on windows 7 you could check the version of windows installer it was made with and replace the setup file with the respective one you needed and it would create a work around, so far no one has made this for windows 10, so all your software and games that are 16bit installers are coasters unless you can dual boot 32 bit. And since Microsoft created this non-backwards compatible problem, they should provide everyone with both versions of windows 10 free to make amends.

DSzymborski

Titan

You can still run 16-bit programs using a number of other emulation options, just not natively. Some of them are tricky, though it depends on the exact software. An old 16-bit DOS game is quite easy to get running with DOSBox - I just installed King's Quest III using my original files from the 80s.

It's 2015. At this point, it's like arguing that Sony is creating a problem by not having their Blu-Ray players support Betamax. The writing's been on the wall for literally 20 years.

Humza Hussain

Reputable
Aug 1, 2015

well i used to have 64 bit windows seven and after being annoyed by running 32 bit applications accidently i stupidly switched to win 7 then i upgraded to win 10 in 32 bit
so i want to install 64 bit to try and play gta which works on 64 bit only
i have :
4gb ram (so i got 64 bit computer)

Humza Hussain

Reputable
Aug 1, 2015

what does this have to do with the topic?
just asking

HalSch

Reputable
Mar 15, 2016

Actually, you only need one Win10 license, but you do need two hard drives.

I've got an old system (Pentium, 3GB mem) that I upgraded to Win10 32-bit.
When I was thinking about doing a clean install of Win10 64-bit, it occurred to me that Win10 32-bit was installed on the original hard drive, which was over ten years old.
It also occurred to me that if the 64-bit version was unrunnable, I did not want to re-intstal Windows and setup the computer all over again for a third time.
So I made sure the 64-bit install went onto the new SSD hard drive I had added to the computer. I have a Win10 computer that dual boots, either Win10 32-bit or Win10-64 bit.

I've done this numerous times with Windows 10. I didn't need a new license and I used two partitions on the same hard drive. When you want to get rid of the 32 bit version, you may want to run something like EasyBCD to remove it from the BCD prior to deleting the Windows files so you don't have problems booting afterwards.

Good luck.

Lordela

Commendable
May 26, 2016
yep !
I've done it with an entreprise win 32 and 64
1 licence : both 32 and 64 bits are correctly activated
I used the last 2.3 version of EasyBCD and it works !
BTW, EasyBCD is free of charge for personal users on the editor's web site neosmart.net

ozrock

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2008
Okay I have 32 on one hard drive and want to also add a 64 paertition for much the same reasons as the poster. I want to be sure all my programs work before I ditch 32.
Seems like I don't need another HD.
How now do I get the 64 bit version?
Thanks for the great help..