Trying to upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 using Media Creation Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcx436

Reputable
Mar 6, 2014
I've been trying to upgrade my 64 bit computer form Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool from here.
I've been correctly downloading the 64 bit version as I should. I pressed "Upgrade this PC now." It downloads Windows 10, verifies the download, then attempts to create installation media (I think that's what it said), then it just closes, no notice or anything. I've been looking all over the internet and I've found nothing.
I recently refreshed my PC in order to fix another problem, and then I updated my PC with all available Windows 8.1 updates. All my drivers are installed and everything. Just in case, I used GWX.exe to reserve another copy of Windows 10. I also have a copy of Windows 8.1 Pro if that means anything. Any help would be much appreciated!

pcx436

Reputable
Mar 6, 2014

I'm not trying to do a clean install. I hit the upgrade button, it still tells me it's creating installation media. I did however try using the media creator to make a clean installing USB, which did work. I'm also running the program as an administrator.

USAFRet

Titan

So,
Start your OS
Navigate to the setup.exe on the USB stick
Run that

pcx436

Reputable
Mar 6, 2014

Wouldn't that still do a clean install?

USAFRet

Titan

Not if you choose not to. I did it last night on one of my systems.
Select "Keep Everything". It just upgrades the system as it is.

pcx436

Reputable
Mar 6, 2014

I've gotten multiple error messages when starting setup.exe from the USB. "UNATTEND.DLL is missing from your computer". and "autorun.dll could not be loaded or is corrupt. Error code [0x7E]" along with other errors. I've tried re-formatting the USB and re-installing windows 10 to it, but I always get errors. I've tried re-downloading the MediaCreationTool in order to fix the problem but that hasn't worked either.

USAFRet

Titan

Are you running the OS, and then running the startup.exe?
We don't want any autorun stuff...

Status
Not open for further replies.