Installing Windows 10 on Virtualbox via USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troll_lol

Reputable
Dec 5, 2014
Hello guys, I've just downloaded Windows 10 from their official website to my USB, and I didn't choose an .ISO file, I did choose a setup (USB option).
The problem is that I want to prove it via VirtualBox but I can't find any way to make virtualbox detect my usb (also tried with plop boot manager).
Does anybody have a solution for this?

Solution
Hello,

Assuming you've already installed guest additions to your Virtualbox application. You also need to set USB filters so that the USB devices get sent to the guest OS.
From the main Virtualbox window open the Settings dialog, then the USB section, then click the little "add filter" button on the right side of the screen. You should be able to create a filter from any currently connected USB devices.
After you've done this (maybe restart to be sure the host OS isn't capturing any of the USB devices for itself, Ubuntu will try to auto-mount the flash drive so you might also want to check and make sure that it is unmounted too) then boot into the guest OS and you should see your USB devices.

Pearlmaster

Reputable
Aug 30, 2015
Hello,

Assuming you've already installed guest additions to your Virtualbox application. You also need to set USB filters so that the USB devices get sent to the guest OS.
From the main Virtualbox window open the Settings dialog, then the USB section, then click the little "add filter" button on the right side of the screen. You should be able to create a filter from any currently connected USB devices.
After you've done this (maybe restart to be sure the host OS isn't capturing any of the USB devices for itself, Ubuntu will try to auto-mount the flash drive so you might also want to check and make sure that it is unmounted too) then boot into the guest OS and you should see your USB devices.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.