Programs missing windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharlieJ15420

Reputable
Apr 1, 2015
Hello everyone,
I recently upgraded to windows 10 however after the download some of my programs had disappeared (not all of them). Some of the ones that disappeared included steam, malware bytes and google chrome. Some that stayed included MS office 2013, ccleaner and CPUID. After some research I found a windows.old folder which I assume is a backup of everything that was on W8.1. Something I found very strange was that all of my steam game icons were there however needed redownloading. Is it possible to just copy the whole steam folder from windows.old into the program files folder in windows 10 or will I have to redone load everything again? Could I also do this with any other programs or will they not work and is it recommended to delete windows.old? Thanks in advance.
Ps. If anyone could maybe tell me why this has happened then I would really appreciate it! Thank you!!!

Solution

The steam folder, or more accurately steamapps folder, should be able to be copied.
Try it and see what happens.

Probably no different than the official Steam procedure for moving games:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7418-YUBN-8129

USAFRet

Titan

No, you probably can't just copy them over.

Just so you know I'm not blowing smoke:
BdWqB3s.jpg

CharlieJ15420

Reputable
Apr 1, 2015
It's not the programs that are really the issue because I can install those easily. It's more my steam games because they use up loads of my internet usage and take ages to download. I didn't know if I could just copy the whole steam folder from windows.old and put it into program files so I don't have to download them again. If I can't do that then I'm in a sticky situation because the games are 15-30GB each.

USAFRet

Titan

The steam folder, or more accurately steamapps folder, should be able to be copied.
Try it and see what happens.

Probably no different than the official Steam procedure for moving games:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7418-YUBN-8129

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.