How to install Windows 10 on secondary hdd

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaloEvent

Reputable
Aug 1, 2015
Hi, so my current computer has 2 unraided HDDs. The primary one is a 1tb Samsung HDD that's falling apart. The second one is a 2tb new formated WD HDD. I want to install windows 10 on the WD HDD and get rid if the primary HDD because it functions poorly (freezes up at random moments for a random amount if time and is unresponsive.). How could I directly install Windows 10 on the secondary HDD and get rid if the 1st one. FYI I already downloaded windows 10 on the first hdd but haven't installed it yet.

Solution
Hey there, HaloEvent!

You'd need a bootable media device to install Windows 10 onto your secondary WD HDD. However, you should keep in mind that you'd need to unplug the primary HDD from the system before beginning the clean install. Otherwise you'd encounter an OS confusion and you really wouldn't want that to happen, as it would mess up the partitions on both HDDs.
As long as you have only one storage drive connected to the motherboard and the installation media device with Windows 10, you should face any issues. Here's a tutorial from the MS community that you might find useful: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-do-a-clean-install-of-windows-10/aef0ae63-2117-41ee-a8ea-4a3181625b08...
Hey there, HaloEvent!

You'd need a bootable media device to install Windows 10 onto your secondary WD HDD. However, you should keep in mind that you'd need to unplug the primary HDD from the system before beginning the clean install. Otherwise you'd encounter an OS confusion and you really wouldn't want that to happen, as it would mess up the partitions on both HDDs.
As long as you have only one storage drive connected to the motherboard and the installation media device with Windows 10, you should face any issues. Here's a tutorial from the MS community that you might find useful: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-do-a-clean-install-of-windows-10/aef0ae63-2117-41ee-a8ea-4a3181625b08

Good luck! Hope this helps you! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Solution

HaloEvent

Reputable
Aug 1, 2015

thanks alot

Status
Not open for further replies.