Windows 10 claim/install not popping up on task bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnsr

Reputable
Nov 9, 2014
Hey Guys,

So I'm simply just curious why Windows 10 isn't popping up to be installed on my task bar.
I have looked at possible solutions on the Microsoft website and everything there I have either done or is already in place.
I'm running a legit copy of Windows 7 home premium.

Thanks in advance

Solution
According to the people I have spoken to, the overall bandwidth isn't the issue with Microsoft - it is how many people on your ISP that are upgrading at any given time. If everyone in your ISP tried to download at the same time - it would crash your ISP.
My notification stated "Wait for a few days or weeks"

I'm sure the upgrades are on their way; installed in phases so as not to overload Microsoft's servers.

BTW, Microsoft by default setting is using users' computers sharing worldwide to speed up the installation process. (Similar to SETI at home).

Burnsr

Reputable
Nov 9, 2014

I tried that last night and downloaded it, when it was finished and was setting up it would freeze when you click next and would crsh and restart my computer, today i had to reformat and reinstall win 7 to fix it. Not goin down that road again

I did that and got a failed authentication note. I went from Win 8.1 and clean installed Win 10. Now Win 10 will not accept the authentication code by which I authenticated Win8 and subsequently upgraded to Win 8.1.

Burnsr

Reputable
Nov 9, 2014

Could it also be that because i'm located in Australia it takes longer. You have to change your time on Win 7 to US to have Win 10 install, could that be a contributing factor?

I don't think that the computer's location matters. Maybe Microsoft's upgrade program cannot handle certain users, me included, that try to bypass their upgrade schedule.

Now I have one laptop with Win 10 that cannot be authenticated. I have posted a question regarding this on Microsoft's Community Forums. No replies yet.

According to the people I have spoken to, the overall bandwidth isn't the issue with Microsoft - it is how many people on your ISP that are upgrading at any given time. If everyone in your ISP tried to download at the same time - it would crash your ISP.

Solution

Yes this sounds right! This is my plan for tomorrow. Thanks for your suggestion!

(Fortunately, I have a clone of the HDD that has Win 8.1 authenticated and ready to swap out).

Burnsr

Reputable
Nov 9, 2014

Thanks for both of your help. I don't know why my install failed last night, it was probably just a bad bug. I will wait until the install pops up on the task bar - hopefully it will come soon

Burnsr

Reputable
Nov 9, 2014

I've tried that before though and it crashed. Il just wait until it says that its ready for me to avoid the experience i've had to go though with wiping my computer to fix the issues

NoNoBadDog2

Reputable
May 23, 2014

You cannot clean install and use an existing CD Key. You *MUST* upgrade first, from your current version of Windows. Once installed, Windows 10 will activate. It will activate on any subsequent clean install. It creats a fingerprint of your computer and uses that as criteria for activation.
You should reinstall your old OS, do all updates, and then install Windows 10, either from the download, or by creating a USB or DVD to upgrade from. You have to use either from withing your current version of windows. Insert the media, and click on Setup. The process is pretty much automatic, and takes about an hour on most computers.

Yes, thanks! This is my current plan and I have already changed the OS to the old Win 8.1 - As you mentioned, I will do the upgrade to Win 10, and then later do a clean install of Win 10 64-bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts