windows 10 settings wont open?

KrutikFTW

Reputable
May 13, 2015
so ever since i installed windows 10 on my PC (it was a force install using the media creation tool), i can't open the settings. it crashes as soon as it opens up. it seems that no one has been having this problem, i've googled it. i've tried to open it from many different locations, nothing seems to be working. help?

Chober

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016
I just installed the latest upgrade of Windows 10, from Windows 7, Jan 28, 2016, and the "fix" that was supposed to already be in the current build and according to KB3081424, Cumulative Update on August 5th, 2015, it did not fix this issue.

I followed the link above and ran the "troubleshooter" from the link on that page. This solved the problem with the settings window not opening. It now works just fine.

jqcookies

Prominent
Jun 27, 2017
Though this is an old thread, I recently encountered this problem as this is one of the top Google search results after Microsoft's own (which as far as I saw did not contain the solution I used).

I tried updating my OS, creating a new administrator account, rebooting and resetting my PC as suggested on various other threads (took me two days after work) to find the solution that worked by scanning for harmful threats on your computer and removing them.

On the Windows Defender software do a full scan (this will take quite a while but definitely worth it).
    View details of the scan and remove the threats as advised.
    Update and restart your computer.
    Settings should now be able to open as expected to work.

manalorhose08

Prominent
Nov 21, 2017

larry.salotti23

Prominent
Dec 30, 2017
I have tried many solutions and failed to fix this problem. Then one day, I decided to go into my task manager and start ending the svchost.exe (you mess with me, I'll mess with you mentality). Desktop refresh and fixes. Temporary though. Restart and still get the problem. So I messed with the svchost.exe that was sourced by the user name (on my system there was only 3 of them plus same mentality) same thing and temp fix. "Ok, looks like I'm starting to narrow it down", restart and before ending any of the of them, I analysis the wait chain of the 3. 1 of them had several wait chains on itself of different threads, before ending it, I opened the file location and end the process and it fixed. I took permission of that file and moved it to a different location, restarted and not it won't boot. Rip. Find one problem while making another. Stuck on some blackish screen with white dots circling.