windows 10 asking for product key

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killmenowkid

Reputable
May 10, 2014
i downloaded media creation tool from microsoft and used it to get the windows 10 iso. im now trying to install it on my computer and it keeps asking for a product key. what do i do. i downloaded the iso so i could load it on both of my computers without having to download it twice. i also want to put it on my ssd when it arrives in a few weeks. how do i get past the product key

Solution
you have to use the upgrade option from inside win 7.sp1/8.1 first. windows 10 will then activate off your win7/8 key.
after that you can use the iso and clean install and windows 10 will automatically activate. using the previous activation.
if you just clean install from the iso without upgrading first you wil need to buy a key.

so your best bet is to reinstall win7.sp1/8.1 and choose upgrade.
you have to use the upgrade option from inside win 7.sp1/8.1 first. windows 10 will then activate off your win7/8 key.
after that you can use the iso and clean install and windows 10 will automatically activate. using the previous activation.
if you just clean install from the iso without upgrading first you wil need to buy a key.

so your best bet is to reinstall win7.sp1/8.1 and choose upgrade.

Solution

joenanez

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
Upgrade first then u can do a fresh install. Microsoft links ur cd key to ur hardware. Just skip that step til u have Internet connection. Make sure u upgrade first though. If u ever upgrade ur components u might have to buy a new cd key.

whassup

Reputable
May 21, 2015
If you have a licensed retail version of windows 7 or 8 key, you may chat with microsoft tech support. They can help you with your issue: https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/contactus#

Status
Not open for further replies.