Windows 10 Log on screen have the password button but i dont use passwords

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
If you setup windows 10 to use your Microsoft account then the logon will use the password for your Microsoft account. If you are using a local account and you are connected to the internet I highly recommend setting a complex password to prevent your system from being easily hacked.

kyllien

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
If you setup windows 10 to use your Microsoft account then the logon will use the password for your Microsoft account. If you are using a local account and you are connected to the internet I highly recommend setting a complex password to prevent your system from being easily hacked.

Solution

simonchipmunk

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014
I am glad that Echoseres posted that question, as I am in the same boat he is in. None of my computers that run windows 7,uses a password to access windows 7.
what you can do, is put in a password , then once you get into windows 10 ,go to user Accounts and see if it will allow youto remove the password.

kyllien

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
Wow another user waiting to be hacked. Not only should you use a password you should use a strong one. Also, security should be done in layer. You hopefully have a router and are using a NAT. A firewall is also recommended. But the last line of defense is your user account. Not using a password is the worst security practice. Turning off UAC without a password makes it even worse.

If you don't use a password and you turn of UAC all a hacker has to do is SSH or Remote Desktop to your computer. They then have full admin rights to the computer and can execute anything they want.

There are a number of Trojans running wild on the internet just waiting to find your computer so it can help with the next DDOS attack.

simonchipmunk

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014

if you would read the persons posting, all I did was answer his posting.
I am assuming that Windows 10 comes with a firewall. I am also assuming he has a good antivirus program as well.
I do not allow Remote Desktop. I also do not have my pcs on a public network.
I did have a pc that required a password ,but yesterday, I couldn't log in because the user profile service did not load.so I had to use my setup disc to use system recovery to go back to before this happened.
My pc's that run windows 7 all require a password, so I have written the password down, along with the program key, on tape and attach it to the top of the tower,
for extra protection, I use SpyBot Search and Destroy as it works better than Norton to remove Trojans.
simonchipmunk

kyllien

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
All the extra security in the world is for naught if you give a hacker full unrestricted unauthenticated access to your computer. Remote desktop is just an example. A favorite way to infect people now is through hacked websites or phishing attempts.

You access a common website like www.microsoft.com. Only today its traffic is being rerouted and you end up on a page that looks exactly like www.microsoft.com. Only it downloads an zero-day exploit to your computer. The exploit very quickly learns that you don't have a password and sends the hacker your IP, NATed IP, username and whatever else they want. Now the hacker has full access to your computer.

simonchipmunk

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014

Well, dear, I don't go to www.Microsoft.com. and I must clarify my earlier response: I meant to say that one of my pc's ,not running Windows 7, requires a password, this is the one that had the problem with the user profile Service.The other one not running windows 7 does not require a password. The pcs that run Windows 7 all require a
password.
and from what I am seeing on this website about the problems people are having with Windows 10, plus Microsoft now charging for the solitaire, and the DVD Application, they plan to release, I am about ready to tell Microsoft what they can do with their 'free' Windows 10 upgrade.
and you can rant and rave until that hot place freezes over, I already answered you. The subject is now closed.
simonchipmunk

kyllien

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013

I just can't fathom leaving yourself open. Setting a password is a simple step. With Windows Hello in Windows 10 it will be more secure and easier to use.

It doesn't have to be any particular website. Any website is subject to short term DNS redirection. Some websites don't secure themselves enough either and get directly hacked.

At least you should have a password on any computer that has access to the internet.

They are not charging for Solitaire. They are charging to remove the Ads.

With the trend to not even include an optical drive there is less and less need to include a DVD player. Also, there is a licensing cost the Microsoft has to pay to include DVD player support. I personally use PowerDVD for playing DVDs and Blu-rays.

simonchipmunk

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014

I use Cyberlink media Suite, also.

Status
Not open for further replies.