Best Method to get Windows 10 on new ssd?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregeroler

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
I want to clean install Windows 10. I'm have bought a new SSD to run this on. So I want to completely wipe everthing on my hard drive at the moment and start fresh with the windows 10 on the ssd. I don't care about files as I use onedrive.

What is the best method to get my w10 on the ssd?

Solution

No it is not. If you want to move window to the SSD, you can either clone the OS to the SSD and then upgrade to win 10 and then do a clean install.
Or upgrade to Win 10 with the OS still on the HDD (so you get an activated Winn 10 licence), then once you check it is activated, do a clean install of WIn 10 on your SSD.
You do not get a Win 10 product key with the upgrade.
If you have a window 10 product key then, if you haven't got the win 10 setup yet, here this the link:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

You can wipe the HDD before or after installing Win 10 on your SSD.
Just put in the disc/USB containing the Win 10 setup, boot it up to start the win 10 setup. When you get the screen to choose where to install Win 10, that screen allows you to format your HDD if you wish to do so.

gregeroler

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
I have windows 8.1 at he moment. Is it he same product key for Windows 10? I am on holiday at the moment, but I believe I do not have the update yet. So is it best to wait till that or do your method?

No it is not. If you want to move window to the SSD, you can either clone the OS to the SSD and then upgrade to win 10 and then do a clean install.
Or upgrade to Win 10 with the OS still on the HDD (so you get an activated Winn 10 licence), then once you check it is activated, do a clean install of WIn 10 on your SSD.
You do not get a Win 10 product key with the upgrade.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.