Thread Stuck In Device Driver

Nikolay Iliev

Reputable
Jan 30, 2015
I have Intel Core i5 and AMD Radeon 260X (I just switched to it).Got my Pro 64-bit Windows 10, but after I start a game or process like for ex. Skype, the system crashes. It is something similar to the blue screen of Win7. I know it is normal new OS to have bugs and glitches, but that is just too much. Help me, pls!

Solution

gressert

Reputable
Feb 25, 2014
Bios update helped. I can install AMD driver for my A10-Processor (with integrated Graphics) without problems now.
Mainboard: Asrock Fatal1ty FM2A88X+ Killer

bumbum1

Commendable
Sep 16, 2016
Sorry to revive this old thread. I have the same issue with a PC I purchased just yesterday. However mine has been stuck on the blue screen at 100% for about 30 minutes now. Should I hit the reset button and try the fix above?

Milly_1

Commendable
Sep 24, 2016
I'm having issues too with my photoshop closing randomly and now rebooting the laptop. Getting sick of losing work. The message i get keeps saying device driver has stopped then going again. Error message i got just now told me to check driver thread.
I'd love some help

peterwise

Reputable
Aug 18, 2015
I'm getting Black Screens too (normally requiring a hard boot) on a sometimes regular and sometimes an infrequent and (apparently) random basis[1] with an ASUS Radeon R9 290 DirectCU II (R9290-DC2OC-4GD5) at standard clock/voltage and v16.9.2 AMD Radeon driver (also in earlier v16.9.1) in Windows 10 (latest updates) in Chrome, Edge, other programs and sometimes even when just showing desktop. Oddly, when in the graphics intensive simulator/game Trainz:a New Era Black Screens appear less frequent.

There is no overheating, case, GPU, CPU fans etc. all clear of dust, Corsair 760W PSU, GPU & CPU (Intel i5-2500K 3.30 GHz) pass in Furmark, RAM passes in MemTest (bootable flask drive). All pass ASUS diagnostics.

When the Black Screen happens, sometimes (but not always) GraphicDrivers\UnsupportedMonitorModesAllowed is set to 1 (as well 'Hide modes that this monitor cannot display' check box being cleared). As it should, setting the latter always clears the former, but I am not convinced that this is, on its own, the cause of the Black Screen. Notably disk access stops completely just after the Black Screen, indicating a tight loop with interrupts off. As a further indication of this, I do sometimes get a THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER error notification.

I have tried completely removing AMD Radeon software with Guru3D's Display Driver Uninstaller DDU and reinstalling, disabling all Chrome extensions, removing many programs, doing Virus and Malware scans, getting Windows 10 to do a self-check and more.I have also tried changing the monitor (maybe without a reboot, my normal one is an AOC 2969PM 21:9 monitor).

Help!

Peter.

[1] which makes testing for cause and effect almost impossible.

peterwise

Reputable
Aug 18, 2015
gressert,

Thanks.

> Sounds like plenty of different problems.

Well I am hoping that these are all symptoms of just one or possibly two underlying problems.

> My suggestion is to find the newest Bios for your card:
> techpowerup vgabios
> https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/?architecture=&manufacturer=Asus&model=R9+290&interface=&memType=&memSize=&since=3+years+ago

Now there are four records that match the R9 290 4096 MB DirectCU II OC. All match my version number (015.041.000.002.000000). However, the two top and newer ones have the same build date & time as each other and as my GPU BIOS. The top one has '_1' appended to the filename (and the MD5 & SHA1 Hash numbers are different as well as the upload dates).

It's a pity that I can't tell which one I have.

Should I presume that the "_1" one is the one I need (though it may actually be the one I have)?

Would there be any difficulties if my PC froze while updating the GPU BIOS (Other than having a default screen for a while)? Would the situation be recoverable? I presume that I should update the BIOS in Safe Mode anyway.

> And disable all tools that tweak your GPU.

As I said, I use (on my task bar) ASUS Tweak II (mainly for forcing a profile for temperature-reactive GPU fan control which I find works best). I noticed that ASUS Live Update gets called by ASUS Tweak II and wonder if that was implicated. So, today set it to check 'never'. Jury's ou on that.

I also have Real Temp (latest version) and Radeon Settings on my task bar.

I do rather rely on each of those tools. But I'll take them out of startup (which wasn't working reliably in Windows 10 anyway) and see if that makes a difference.

Peter.