Laptop won't charge after upgrading to Windows 10

Nel-

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014
I just upgraded my laptop today to W10, and now I can't seem to charge my battery anymore, there was 0 problems before i upgraded from W8. What it simply says is "Plugged in, not charging", this is pretty bad because my Laptop can only hold max 1½ hour (It's a gaming laptop). Is there any way to check/fix it, because I dont want to give it to a repair shop, and I have never even seen one...

Thanks for the help!

Solution

crinkdude

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
try turning off, unplugging power cord, removing battery and pressing power button for a few seconds then rebooting. if not try reverting back to windows 8. you have 30 days or something like that to revert back to old installation

Nel-

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014

I wish i could remove the battery, but on the Y50-70 its kinda in the laptop it self, and I need to remove internal components (Havent done it before on a laptop, only on a desktop).

crinkdude

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
Well you could probably just let the battery die then try plugging the power cord back in. There seems to many different bugs with Windows 10 so maybe if you do revert back to your old installation and it it says the battery is charging then you'll know it's just a bug.

Nel-

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014
The fault was one of Lenovo's preinstalled battery programs, it was set to conservation mode, and I dont really know alot about conservation mode, but it wont let your battery charge when its around 50%. Hope this will help other people

Blueberries

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014

Didn't think to ask if there was Lenovo software! Usually if the port isn't damaged it's a power saving setting.

Joeyjo

Reputable
Oct 12, 2015

Solution

Lanithane

Reputable
Oct 13, 2015
I have an elitebook 8470p. Plugged in not charging message. This is definitely a software issue. I went to support.hp.com and downloaded the latest BIOS. I updated from 2012 to 2015 BIOS firmware and restarted and the computer started charging. Fixed! I would suggest for any other manufacturer update the BIOS as this issue seems to be all over the place.

BS Electronics Engineering.

Barrywho

Reputable
Oct 17, 2015
I have this small 8" Acer Windows 8.1 Tablet with OTG/MicroUSB slot for bith charging and/or adding a USB hub, Worked fine, charging when plugged in under Windows 81. but when asked to upgrade to Windows 10, I agreed and in no time, already Windows 10

HOWEVER as you guys pointed, even though plugged in, it is NOT charging anymore, getting less and less. BUT WHEN I shutdown, it CHARGES. This must be some kind of Windows 10 BUG.

I tried the suggestions here BUT NO CAN DO.

And so, anyone have any solution. Does Microsoft KNOW about this RECURRING problem that seems widespread just googleing it and affecting laptops, tablets et al??? DO YOU think it will be RESOLVED? THANKS for any input.

Regards, Barry

Barrywho

Reputable
Oct 17, 2015
Thinking of dumping this 1gb/32gb Acer Tablet and instead getting one of these chinese Dual OS Windows 10 + Android 5.0, 2 or 4gb/64gb SSD, 8", 9.7" to 11.6 inch AND these have a SIM slot, phone call function (Android onlyy). DARN CHEAP. Worth the risk. Some of these chinese online sites are trustworthy. Already got a octa-core/android 5 smartphone and it came in day, free shipping but I opted for DHL fast service. TECLAST seems to be a trustworthy brand producing quality tablets.

Barrywho

Reputable
Oct 17, 2015
Googling about I read this solution, and I quote : ---

These are Jeffrey Palermo's steps--with just my note to make one part easier):

1. Disconnect the A/C power supply.
2. Shut down the computer.
3. Remove the battery
4. Connect the A/C power supply
5. Start the computer.
6. Under Battery... (here's the problem, Jeff--where is "battery?" I searched, and finally remembered it is under Control Panel, then System, then Device Driver, then Battery)
7. Click on Battery (at the top), and then right click on all entries that say Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery, and select uninstall.
8. Shut the computer down.
9. Disconnect the A/C power supply.
10. Insert the battery.
11. Insert the A/C power supply.
12. Start the computer.
13. It should be fixed--thanks to Jeffrey Palermo! Visit his blog to read what others have experienced, and solutions for those with Samsung computers, etc.

END QUOTE

Please advise feedback on this

Kate_4

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015
The above worked seamlessly! My battery is now charging!

Thank you, Jeffery Palermo and BarryWho!

-Kate

Barrywho

Reputable
Oct 17, 2015
I tried the solution and it did not work. Well, just an inconvenience. One can work on it and when battery low, just shutdown and it will charge. Wait a few hours and back to work.

HOWEVER, I DID send it to the Acer Service Center here in Bangkok, Thailand. AND, NOT surprisingly they said they will RE-FLASH back to Windows 8.1 AND RECOMMEND NOT to UPGRADE to Windows 10. MEANING, they seem to KNOW there is some problem. Otherwise, WHY say that?

BUT things got WORSE! When I sent it, Windows 10 was working. Unfortunately I gave it to the center 2 days AFTER warranty expiry date. AND SO, ANY repairs will be CHARGED. Cost of flashing it back to Windows 8.1 was 485 Thai Baht or $13.55

4 days later (over the weekend and one public holiday), Acer Center called and SAID it had to be REPAIRED because the motherboard and camera FAILED. I said how can? Because it was working when I gave it to them!

And the COST? 4,700 Thai Baht or about $132 !!! I countered that a NEW one now retails at IT City superstore at 3,900 Baht or $109. SO, WHY would I be IDIOTIC enough to have a USED tablet repaired at a much more EXPENSIVE cost than a NEW one ???? AND that a second hand one in the market here is selling in the 2,5000 baht ($70) range.

Customer is supposed to be KING. And they DARE quote this CRAZY HIGHER PRICED repair cost to me. AND it is ACER, a mega company!

I told them to KEEP IT. BUTI would COMPLAIN to ACER head office in Taiwan and WARN OTHERS.

Moral of the story is NEVER BUY an ACER device. Enough past models have been SHODDY. Example Iconia W3 tablet with its bad SCREEN. And others.

SO, I say to you guys. BEWARE when you go ACER. They'll skin you alive!

It's not the money, I can PAY. BUT I will NEVER be CHEATED like this. Especially WHEN it was working when I gave it to them. WHY bother suing, it cost more money and useless frustations, I might as well but a chinese lesser known brand. You get your money's worth. Like this 9.7" Teclast X98 Air 3G ( Intel Bay Trail-T Z3735F Quad Core 1.33-1.83GHz ) Dual OS Windows 10 + Android 5 with 2gb memory (twice that Acer model) with 64gb SSD (twice Acer model) + a SIM slot (+ HDMI slot) that allows GSM & 3G PHONE call and greater resolution at 2048 x 1536. A 3-in-1 model at only $180....!!!!

ACER? BAD NEWS!!!!

Regards,
Barry Maramis

chaz65

Reputable
Jan 2, 2016

I did this and my battery started charging, then it stopped again and the battery ACPI was back in device manager. My Asus is battery 16% plugged in, not charging. I'm sure if I repeat the process it will work again but for a few minutes not worth it. Any ideas?
Thanks for the great original fix. Shows me theres something with win 10 and not my laptop.
I then realized I have Power4gear hybrid running so started changing the power schemes. Nothing happened. So I unplugged it and back in and it starts charging for a minute and then stops. unplug it and back in it charges for a minute.
Ended task for power4gear, unplugged and back in and same ting works for 30 seconds then stops charging.

Kris_in_sj

Reputable
Jan 5, 2016
Ok. Here's a really stupid question. How do you shut down the computer if all power is gone? Mine totally ran power dry while I was out of town for 3 days despite the fact it was plugged in. This happened 1 day after installing Windows 10. I've discontinued the AC power and removed the battery. Now what? I shudder to think of all my lost programs and data!

ctswin

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2008
The Lenovo Battery meter application used to monitor and control the charging state of the battery. If the battery were above 90% and plugged in, the charger would run the laptop and not worry about topping off the battery at the cost of a new charge cycle. If the charge was below the prescribed threshold (I think 80%) and you plug in the charger, the machine would fully charge and top off the battery.

It looks like this functionality has been built into later versions of windows. I hope this makes sense.

Ajoneil

Commendable
Apr 26, 2016

How can you tell if that's the case? Is there a way I can turn this off?
I have a Lenovo Edge 15 and it's got the same "Plugged in, not charging" message. Oh and of course it started the day after my warranty on it expires. smh.

Sandri-Philipp

Commendable
May 15, 2016

Same issue on a Sony VAIO T Series Ultrabook after a Windows 10 Home new/clean install. SOLVED following these steps. Thank you.

tenacioustim

Commendable
Jul 23, 2016

Thanks so much - worked a treat and now have a mobile computer again!