Should I get a 1080p 144Hz or 1440p 60Hz monitor with my new GTX 970?

rpeopler

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012
I've had a GTX 660 Ti for approximately 3 years, and I believe that I'm due for an upgrade. My most probable card is an MSI GTX 970 (coming from my experience with the 660 Ti), but I hear that it's pretty overkill for 1080p. Therefore, I want to either use it for more fluidity and clarity with a 144Hz monitor (which would definitely be beneficial for more intensely-paced games) or more eye candy with a 1440p monitor. However, I'm certain that the impact would be considerable on my FPS, rendering anything exceeding a 60Hz refresh rate useless. I kind of want to maintain a stable frame rate of 50 as a minimum, but I don't really know the impact of the additional pixel density. What do you guys think? Any feedback is appreciated!

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Well, at 1440p, the card will have to render 80% more pixels and texels per frame than at 1080p. Your fps will decease accordingly. I'd opt for the 144MHz 1080p, myself. My 290X is in the same class as the 970, and it is not overkill for 1080p imo.

What kind of games do you play? Do you play a lot of fps online? IF playing online shooters or play competitively? If so get the high refresh rate.

Playing games solo or games that rwly less on reaction time and more on tequniques or planning then get the higher resolution monitor.

TRENDING THREADS