What is the best way to clean/wipe a SSD?

CC268

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
Hey guys,

I have done a lot of research on wiping/cleaning SSDs, but I can't seem to find answers that have much proof behind them.

I have a Microsoft Surface Pro 3 and I would like to do a true clean install of Windows 10 (I have already upgraded to Windows 10, but want to do a true clean install now).

In the past I have used Parted Magic to do a Secure Erase on my SSD's. However, I see that a lot of people say it is unnecessary and puts excess wear on your SSD.

So...is it best to just delete the partitions during the Windows install or do a Secure Erase using Parted Magic (or whatever program)?

mike1996

Reputable
Apr 6, 2014
its up to you what you deiced but basically deleting the partition dose not delete the data it severs the tie in between the os and the data and it gets written over as you go

the secure eras actually resets all bites to 0 which completely wipes data to an unrecoverable point.

CC268

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
See I don't understand because I have seen some people (who seemed really knowledgeable) say that they essentially did the same thing and to just stick with deleting the partitions. I am a bit amazed that after so many years no one seems to have a definitive answer as to what the most effective method is.

I do appreciate your answer.

mike1996

Reputable
Apr 6, 2014
if your worried about some one stealing your data form the old hdd use secure eras, i run this if i need to throw away an old hdd that has not busted yet, or if i have a very pesky virus

for some one like you how will be righting over that old data i would recommend just deleting it in the partions during windows installation

For solid state drives the preferred method of "wiping/cleaning" an ssd has always been by means of "secure erase". That has not changed. A secure erase will completely wipe an ssd clean and make it like new again. Nothing will be left on the ssd. It will be just like having a brand new ssd fresh out of the box. I would venture to say most consumers look for an easy way out such as cloning instead of doing the right thing. A secure erase only takes a second or two. No need to do a Windows custom install. It is about as straight forward as possible.

A secure erase does not put excess wear on an ssd for the simple reason that a secure erase is performed very very rarely. SSD endurance is usually measured in program/erase cycles (p/e cycles). It involves writing and then erasing data over and over. The most famous endurance test was performed by "The Tech Report" which clearly demonstrated that ssd's can last for many years. An ssd could last through over 2TB of p/e cycles. For a typical consumer that is well over 20 years of use. Here is a link to the torture test final report:

http://techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead

There is no requirement or valid reason for partitioning a solid state drive. The only reason for partitioning an ssd is a matter of personal choice. It makes some consumers feel better organized. Even if an ssd is partitioned, the data that "appears" to be stored in each partition is still scattered all over the ssd. An ssd stores data differently than a hard disk drive.

I just took a look at the link you provided. Jack and I go back a few years. We don't always agree. The thread is kind of messy as Jack was dealing with an individual who didn't even have a valid copy of Microsoft Windows.

CC268

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
Interesting Johnny - so you would say go ahead and do Parted Magic on my Surface Pro 3? EDIT: It looks like what Jack said is actually not completely true. A Secure Erase is different from simply deleting the partition, but for a clean install deleting the partition or using /diskpart is all that is needed.

TRENDING THREADS