Plan on building a new system soon....confused about Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpeel

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
I plan on building a new desktop system as my current one is 6 years old. I have always bought the retail version of Windows and Upgrades so I could reinstall if I upgraded hardware or had to do a fresh install. From everything I've been told and read, I can't do a fresh install of my "free" copy of Windows 10. I assume that means that I will have to buy a copy of Windows 10 to get a new license. All I've seen are OEM's which are tied to specific hardware. I want to be able to reinstall as I upgrade hardware. Will I be able to do this or will I be forced to buy a new license everytime I want to upgrade hardware in the future:?

Hello man

Honorable

Do you have the previous windows installation disk? You can reserve windows 10 upgrades for free for up to a year.

dpeel

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
yes I have the disks but want to do a fresh install when I build a new system or upgrade hardware. Also, from what I've read, if I do the upgrade to windows 10, I will loose my ability to use my old license. I just want to be able to do fresh installs of Windows 10 whenever I change hardware or have a problem with an old installation like I've always been able to do in the past.

USAFRet

Titan
1 license, 1 PC.
Your current system has an OS. You can't use that OS on a new PC at the same time.
If you upgrade that to Windows 10, you still only have one license. And if you upgrade it to Windows 10 on your old system, you may or may not be able to move that to your new system.

Solution?
Buy your new PC its own license.

dpeel

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
I think I made myself clear. I have always been able to buy a License that I would "transfer" to a different set of hardware legally as long as I didn't buy the OEM version. From what I'm seeing so far, all they will have is an OEM version that would require me to buy another copy. I think I made myself as clear as I know how to be asking this. I'm not trying to get around Microsoft's licensing, I'm trying to understand.

Based on this: http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/Pages/windows-licensing-for-personal-use.aspx

I would say Windows 10 OEM/System Builder copies can be moved between PC's that you personally own, as long as the existing copy is removed completely from the old system. As far as the 1 year free upgrade offer currently in effect, that is indeed tied to the device it is installed on, meaning you can't move it.

Here is what I would do once you have your new system built.

1. Install Windows 7 or 8(.1) on the new box once you have it built. (OEM/SysBuilder copies of 7 aren't eligible to be moved between PC's, but OEM/SysBuilder copies of 8 and 8.1 are)
2. Copy all of your data over to the new system, then wipe out the old one (since you have to remove it per the license agreement).
3. Once the install is removed from the old system, do the Windows 10 upgrade on the new box before you install anything else.

No extra Windows license purchase required.

USAFRet

Titan

Yes you were clear. Microsoft, OTOH, is not quite so clear.
According to the EULA, a Retail 8.1, Upgraded to Win 10 can be transferred to a new PC.
Other statements, direct from Microsoft, state otherwise.

Talking out both sides of their neck.

Specifically:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/reinstalling-windows-10-after-upgrade/578d0b7f-57e4-4893-b9d1-6cfac0d6290a?auth=1
"Q: What happens if I change the hardware configuration of my Windows 10 device?

A: If the hardware configuration of your Windows 10 device changes significantly (e.g. motherboard change) Windows may require re-activation on the device. This is the same experience as prior versions of Windows (e.g. Windows 7 and Windows 8.1). The free upgrade offer will not apply to activation of Windows 10 in such scenarios where hardware changes reset Activation. "
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
However, the EULA states:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/Retail/Windows/10/UseTerms_Retail_Windows_10_English.htm
"b. Stand-alone software. If you acquired the software as stand-alone software (and also if you upgraded from software you acquired as stand-alone software), you may transfer the software to another device that belongs to you. You may also transfer the software to a device owned by someone else if (i) you are the first licensed user of the software and (ii) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement. You may use the backup copy we allow you to make or the media that the software came on to transfer the software. Every time you transfer the software to a new device, you must remove the software from the prior device. You may not transfer the software to share licenses between devices."
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Presumably, the EULA, a semi legal binding document, would rule.
It has yet to be tested.

dpeel

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
Thanks. That makes more sense. Problem is, I'm not sure I want to give up my old license to Windows 7....at least not at this time by using the "free" Windows 10 upgrade. Also, I really don't like installing it over the top of Windows 7. Unless something changes, I think I'll just buy a new license for Windows 10. Maybe they'll come out with a retail version. Maybe they'll have more information at some point in the future. I've also read that if you use the "free upgrade", you don't have a choice as to what future updates come down on installing or not. All these things make me a little uneasy about Windows 10.

USAFRet

Titan

In that case, just buy a Win 10 (or whichever) for your new PC. Who knows what changes will happen in the next few months.

Windows 10 Pro users will be able to defer some updates. If you have 7 Pro or Ultimate, the upgrade to 10 will give you Windows 10 Pro.

At face value, I don't agree with the Orwellian nature of pushing updates like that, but with so many users lagging behind on patching their systems, I do think it there will be a net benefit overall in terms of security in general.

dpeel

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
All good advice to consider and it's appreciated. I think I'm going to stick with my Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium for a bit longer and let the dust settle with Windows 10. The main reason I wanted to build a new Desktop was because of games that have come out recently that I can't play using my current hardware and with a new Operating system with a new version of Direct X-12, thought all these things pointed to just building a new system and installing a fresh copy of Windows 10. Microsoft seems to be doing Windows 10 differently and saying it's the "Final" version of Windows. That's all fine and dandy but even it it is, I don't want to have to buy a new license everytime I want to do a fresh install. The only version of Windows 10 listed is OEM versions which have always been tied to a specific set of hardware. That I don't like.
\

Except that USAFRet and I just linked you to something that said exactly the opposite. OEM copies can be moved and you don't have to buy a new copy every time. The only one that is tied to the hardware it's installed on is the free upgrade.

If you still want to wait, by all means... no one is forcing you to do the upgrade. But get this idea out of your head that you have to buy a new license each time.

USAFRet

Titan

Definitely agree there. By changing their terms for OEM/System Builder licenses, they did end up creating a lot of confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS