Some help troubleshooting these BSODs would be greatly appreciated :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marshall Hurtado

Honorable
Jun 28, 2013
Hey all,

Windows 10 is working smoothly for me aside from a few BSODs that I think may be hardware related. I know my PSU and RAM are 3 years old, aside from one of the sticks which is 2 years. I have assorted age hard drives in my system as well, but I don't they would be causing any of the BSODs I'm having. Everything else is quite new. Processor installed correctly, heatsink, etc. My GPU is an EVGA 760 that's 2 years old, but I've been gaming on it just fine.

PC Specs:

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
8GB DDR3
EVGA 760 2GB
i7 4790K
4 HDDs
ASRock Extreme 4 MOBO

Blue screens:

Memory_Management
System_Thread_Exception_Not_Handled
IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal
System_Service_Exception

I have the program "Blue Screen View" that has much more information but I'm unsure how to get that onto here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated; just trying to figure these out rather than live with them.

Solution
The painstaking method might be to disable unnecessary drivers or remove hardware you suspect to be a problem, to see how well your system runs. Noting exactly when any errors occur might help diagnose the problem also, but I suspect judging by 10 and it's hardware compatibility with drivers at the moment, only future updates from either microsoft or the manufacturer may solve the majority of issues.

Memory_management, try a windows memory diagnostic tool or third party equivalent, I believe there was one in 7 and 8 so there should still be one in 10, if it passes the test then it's probably a driver rather than hardware issue.

System_Thread_Exception_Not_Handled could be graphics related. MS - this error has been linked to excessive...

xtnt

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2013
The painstaking method might be to disable unnecessary drivers or remove hardware you suspect to be a problem, to see how well your system runs. Noting exactly when any errors occur might help diagnose the problem also, but I suspect judging by 10 and it's hardware compatibility with drivers at the moment, only future updates from either microsoft or the manufacturer may solve the majority of issues.

Memory_management, try a windows memory diagnostic tool or third party equivalent, I believe there was one in 7 and 8 so there should still be one in 10, if it passes the test then it's probably a driver rather than hardware issue.

System_Thread_Exception_Not_Handled could be graphics related. MS - this error has been linked to excessive paged pool usage and may occur due to user-mode graphics drivers crossing over and passing bad data to the kernel. You could always swap to integrated graphics and disable dedicated to see what error messages still occur, if any. Info here for 8 might still be helpful
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-1653141/fix-system-thread-exception-handled-error-windows.html

I was unable to reinstall 8 on my laptop this yr due to the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL message.
According to MS, a driver attempted to access a memory address to which it did not have permission to access. This error usually occurs after the installation of a buggy device driver, system service, or BIOS. If I remember correctly in my own case it turned out to be an incompatibility with an Atheros bluetooth card (which came with the system on purchase). I had to remove the card to continue, and insert back in only after installing the OS and installing the driver.

System_Service_Exception, most common seems to be with lack of memory giving a time out, reply here suggests turning off unused hardware in the bios you do not use
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2731857/fix-constant-blue-screen-system-service-exception.html

Solution

Marshall Hurtado

Honorable
Jun 28, 2013

Haven't had any BSODs in the last two days thankfully.

Used the built-in memory diagnostics tool, it's in 10 as well which is nice, zero errors. I suspect it's a driver as well, but I'll run the "extended" memory test just to make sure.

I'll be sure to look at that post about my System_Thread_Exception_Not_Handled error.

I recently updated my BIOS but that went cleanly and easily. Probably a device driver.

I'll be sure to check on that System_Service_Exception post as well.

I have the BlueScreenView program if that helps? I'll gladly give some dump files or whatever else if it pinpoints what's causing which issue, etc.

I really appreciate the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.