Windows 10 slow after restart?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dantexfox

Honorable
Dec 30, 2014
So I restarted my computer and router because my internet was being slower then usual. After I restarted my computer it took almost 30 secs to show the log in screen, that's the longest it's ever taken. After I log in it takes about 3 mins to load an aplication. Even when I attempted to open my windows setting it's slow. I have no idea what's wrong. my computer is a gaming computer with an i7 and a gtx 970 with 16 gigs of dd3 ram. Any one know what's wrong?

Solution
next question then would be.. what is using it? by default, defrag/anti-malware should stop using the drive if computer is in use so only doing it when it is idle.
Thus i refer to the details tab and enabling I/o bytes read/written to find possible culprit
well, so far reason is not known but in last hour or two I've seen two other similar posts concerning windows 10.
in both cases, memory usage was at 95% or more and on other, disk usage was at 99%

That in mind, below is just speculation based on above.

so something is using up a lot of both on both of those cases, how about in yours? What does task manager say? and no, it wont likely tell the culprit in process section.
go for details and add i/O bytes read/written and sort by those. to see what uses disk up.

IF disk is being used. If memory and task manager can't find the memory user, well... there are other alternatives to task manager that could perhaps work in windows 10 and show more. However it all comes only after the problem can be pinpointed in some way.

next question then would be.. what is using it? by default, defrag/anti-malware should stop using the drive if computer is in use so only doing it when it is idle.
Thus i refer to the details tab and enabling I/o bytes read/written to find possible culprit

Solution

dantexfox

Honorable
Dec 30, 2014
I've checked the task manager and nothing exceeds 1mb. My 0 (C) drive is now at 100%. I've tried to turn off the service windows defender and get denied. I don't know why that's happening i am an administrator on my computer. I ran Anti-Malware bytes and it found nothing.

well, for my win10 laptop, at the moment, it seems msmpeng.exe is the winnner on I/O reads, at 6,937,633,815 bytes.
it is part of windows antimalware scans (looks at each file as it is run) causing it to be that high.

I don't have excess disk usage though, just pointing out that you should have something using a LOT of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.