[Windows 10] I can see my one HDD but i cant access it

letsgodevils

Reputable
Aug 3, 2015
Hi Guys im having a problem with one of my hard drives. When i was in Windows 8.1 i could see all 3 of my drives and use them. Now after i updated i only see 2 of the drives. I have 3 1Tb drives. One of the OS and all my files, One for all my Games, and the 3rd for all my videos i record. I cant see the 3rd drive. If i go into device manager or partition manager i can see the drive and in the partition manager i can see that it isn't empty. I'm not sure how to fix this and i need these files back.

Ok on further inspection i found out that it was not my Toshiba drive but one of my Seagate drives (ST1000DM003-1ER162)

ST1000DM003-1CH162 - Main Drive with OS and all my files and programs; Working
ST1000DM003-1ER162 - My Second Drive With all my videos on it; i can see it, but cant acess it
TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 - Third Drive with all my games on it; Working

Picture 1
Picture 2

Welcome, letsgodevils!

I'd suggest you to go to Disk Management ( http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/a/disk-management-windows-8.htm ) and check how the HDDs appear there. When you try to access it, is there any error message popping up?
I'd also recommend you to download your HDD manufacturer's diagnostic tool, you should be able to find it on their website. This utility will help you determine the health and SMART status of the drive, so it might give you some peace of mind.
It could also be a permission issue, so I'd advise you to use this tutorial and see if you could take the ownership of the drive back: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2808-take-ownership-file-folder-drive-registry-key-windows-8-a.html

Keep in mind that Windows 10 is a new operating system, so you might also be encountering some compatibility issues with the hardware. In this case, I'd recommend contacting the HDD manufacturer's technical support for assistance!

Keep me posted. Hope this helps you though! :)
SuperSoph_WD

letsgodevils

Reputable
Aug 3, 2015
When i go into Disk Management it looks like that the computer didnt assign the HDD a drive letter so i cant access it. But it shows that there is Used Space on the HDD.

SOLUTION: Ok so this is a really easy solution which i should have done but what i did was i just right clicked on the drive and assigned it a drive letter, and now im able to access it.

Arel346

Commendable
Jan 17, 2017
I had a similar issue however mine had a drive letter but the graphic bar that indicates free and used space was not there in windows. I went to the drive's properties > security and added user permissions (full control, everything) for "Everyone". I had to use the advanced options to do it but it worked and I can now access the drive.