Need help choosing sound system

Richard Ricardo

Reputable
Oct 6, 2014
I have a 2013 suzuki sx4 sportback and the sound system is a bit underwhelming compared to what I'm used to. I however don't know anything about sound systems so I don't know what to look for. I'd like something with good clarity and good range with a subwoofer and a receiver with bluetooth without spending a fortune. I don't need top of the line. Just something better than what I have now.

Like I said, I don't know anything about car sound systems so any help would be greatly appreciated :)

This is not really much of a car audio forum, not very many experts on the subject here.
I know enough to install things, understand most of the concepts and can shop for myself, but not enough to know from experience what models have problems and other application specific information.

How did you plan on installing these parts?

Does the car have steering wheel controls?, can you control any other part of the car through the stereo?
Newer cars can interface a lot of features into the stereo. Everything from steering wheel controls, to even seeing gauge readouts, controlling the heating/air conditioning, entry lights, and other features. For things like steering wheel controls you can often get an add-on module to interface the two, but for other things you will loose that function getting rid of the factory radio.

Richard Ricardo

Reputable
Oct 6, 2014

I plan on installing the parts myself. I figure it can't be that difficult. My steering wheel can control the volume and radio station as well as cruise control. my receiver is very basic and doesn't control the car itself as far as I can remember. My A/C and heating is below the receiver and is removed separately so that shouldn't be a problem.

What kind of parts would you choose for yourself if you were to upgrade your sound system? That should give me a nice start on where to look.

Here is some good tidbit of info for your car: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-B1RxvdvmP5H/learn/2007-2013-suzuki-sx4.html

Here is the wiring color codes you will need: http://www.modifiedlife.com/2011-suzuki-sx4-car-stereo-wiring-instructions/

Will need to know a lot more about your budget and needs before could make any suggestions:

Do you want to be able to use steering wheel controls?
iPhone or Android?
You said you need Bluetooth, do you need XM, USB, 3.5mm AUX or other input sources?
Do you want rear usb so you can hide cable to glovebox or center console?
Do you want all-in-one woofers and tweaters for your speakers, or separate (separate system is better quality but costs marginally more)?
Do you want small, medium, or large amount of bass (this determines size and qty of subs)?
For your tastes would you rather sacrifice some bass for quality/clarity, or sacrifice a little bit of quality/clarity for more bass?

Here is a short list of what all this will entail, if this sounds overwhelming you may want to re-evaluate installing yourself
Stereo:
Use color code link above to solder wires from radio harness to the adapter harness for your car, as well as the steering wheel control harness/module
Remove trim piece and old stereo
install/modify old mounting bracket for new stereo and plastic single din bracket
Hookup wiring harness and slide radio back in
Configure stereo headunit

Speakers:
Remove front door and rear door molding (best to find instructions on this online for your car)
Remove old tweeters and woofers
Use drill to create new mounting screw holes in door for new speakers
If doing all-in-one speakers - solder wring harness ends to factory wires, attach wires to speakers and mount speakers into door
If doing separate tweeters/speakers - wire factory wires to crossover module, secure module to inside of door or other area, wire module to speaker/tweeter, mount speakers/tweeters.

For sub/amp:
assemble sub(s) into box
decide on amp mounting location
find spot in firewall to run power wire from battery
On one side of the car you will need to remove all of the foot trim boards (plastic between door and where the carpet starts as you get into the car)
Remove kick panel on same side of car (piece to the Left of drivers Left foot or right of passengers right foot)
Route wire through firewall , and all the way to trunk area where amp is at
Route RCA cable AND amp power wire from stereo to amp
Route as short of wire as possible from amp to a good grounding bolt in trunk
Wire up amp with power, ground and turn-on wire form stereo
Wire up amp to sub

Your car has very weak speakers so to do a full overhall here is what you will need:

Head-unit
Front Speakers
Rear Speakers
Sub(s)
Sub box
amp
amp power wire kit (what you need will depend on amp/sub power needs)
stereo adapter harness (plugs into your car's stereo harness(es) and then has bare wires to solder the wires from head-unit to)
steering wheel control module
Stereo adapter bracket (fits your car and fills in the empty space left by your bigger factory stereo)
16 gauge wire for amp turn-on wire (15 ft minimum for this, possibly longer)
May also need antenna adapter for your am/fm radio
16 gauge speaker wire for subs (may include some in amp wiring kit)
USB or 3.5mm extension cable if routing to glovebox or center console

Tools/supplies needed:
Screwdrivers
Pliers
Wire-stripper
Cordless drill with screw and drill bits
soldering iron
solder
preferably heat-shrink and heat gun, otherwise I would use the liquid electric tape over traditional electric tape that unravels over time
possibly need additional screw terminals for amp

also if at all possible, it would be a good upgrade to put new speaker wires in the car. The factory probably put in 20-22 gauge thin little wiring, running new 16 or 14 gauge wires from speaker adapter harness to speakers will make a noticeable sound quality difference