windows10 will not accept my password

Maismarian

Reputable
Aug 4, 2015
I downloaded and used windows10 yesterday and all was well. This morning I tried to turn it on and it will not accept the password for my Microsoft account. It tells me where to go to reset it but I can't get in to do it.

Solution
some wireless network drivers have bugs where they go to low power state (sleep) and don't wake up (high power state). if this is the case a wireless card may not use enought power to send a signal to your router. (hence you login would fail) the router would still send a signal to the wireless card. Try and use a wired connection, or power cycle your machine to get, or move your machine closer to the router.

(all on the assumption you have a wireless network connection, update your wireless driver from your motherboard vendor or turn off the power management functions for your wireless card.)

simonchipmunk

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014
Judy's idea is great. what I would do after you reset the password, is write the password on masking tape and tape it to your pc9 on top of the tower, or just inside the laptop in a free space near the keyboard.

some wireless network drivers have bugs where they go to low power state (sleep) and don't wake up (high power state). if this is the case a wireless card may not use enought power to send a signal to your router. (hence you login would fail) the router would still send a signal to the wireless card. Try and use a wired connection, or power cycle your machine to get, or move your machine closer to the router.

(all on the assumption you have a wireless network connection, update your wireless driver from your motherboard vendor or turn off the power management functions for your wireless card.)

Solution

simonchipmunk

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014

what if Maismarian doesn't have a wireless connection? He/she didn't say how he/she was logging in (Ethernet, or wireless). Your solution sounds like good idea.

I was guessing about the wireless card mainly because of the delay where he was able to install windows 10 then a day later he could not log in to a internet account. The other things I can think of would not have let him do the install in the first place. pretty common to have wireless drivers in a low power state that can receive router signals but can not send a signal to the router. Antenna power too low on the client, power is reduced in a low link state. Very common with laptops even if the laptop is running on AC power (because of poor control panel power management settings.

simonchipmunk

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014
johnrib,

LeRennais

Reputable
Sep 19, 2015

I had this until I spotted that you can reveal the characters typed into the passsword. (Tiny button just after the pawwword box)

For me, this revealed that the number pad was not operational at the time of passaoed entry. Needed to use the number keys at the top of the keyboard.

Once booted, the number keys work as normal!

This is possibly quite common on USB connected keyboards? Keyboard driver not fully loadedat log in time

simonchipmunk

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014

simonchipmunk

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014
My keyboards on the desktops I use are connected by USB also. last night I had a mell of hess trying to log in on one of the pcs that has been upgraded to Windows 10. don't ask me why, but I had to turn the Num Lock light on so that it would let me type the whole password. The keyboard is shared with the pc I am using at this time and it works fine. Is it possible that the keyboard is malfunctioning or is there something going on with the other computer,will have to wait til I can contact my guru in new mexico.

Larry_14

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015

Guido64

Commendable
Aug 3, 2016
Login with your Microsoft account instead of your local account. Change your account settings back to use your local user account instead of your Microsoft account once your back in windows.

Dale_20

Commendable
Sep 15, 2016