HDTV 16:9 Best resolution?

shioriharu

Reputable
Nov 21, 2014
Hi!
Lately i was forced to buy a new HDTV after what seemed like 8 years, cuz my PC suddenly refused to communicate with my old TV.

The old one was a Hyundai HD ready LCD 21 " was not really widescreen it was something you would call 16:10 i think, was the perfectest display i could ask for, but they dont manufacture stuff like that anymore.

So i bought myself a LG LED FULLHD ISP 27" ppl were saying this is the top, and will live up to my old one.
Took me 3 days to finally adjust all color settings to look like my old screen kinda ( im still using the old one too, but only on Playstation since it hates my PC or smthin)
but theres this thing that bugs me like hell.

On my old TV i was using 1024x768 60hz and it was perfect
This one is a widescreen 16:9 however, and i cant find a resolution that looks good on it.
1024x768 stretches everything waaaay out <-> this way
1440x
and 1600x900 stretches out things way out on the top and bottom

Can anyone please tell me which is the perfect resolution for a widescreen 27" TV that only slightly distorts things to the left and right?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Put the TV in Cinema mode (if it has it), I find the gaming/normal/dynamic mode of most TVs over saturate the colours making everything seem a bit too surreal.

shioriharu

Reputable
Nov 21, 2014
Okay i tried out the 1920 one picture quality indeed superb but everything is small and its weird as [adjective removed ]to read text on it, ill try but dont think i can get used to it.

I'm also looking for something that does stretch out very slightly to the left and right.
Like 1440x900 but not sure if its quite the right amount, so what would you go with 2nd, if not 1920x1080 ?

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

Oh I didn't see it too late.

The issue with small TVs with 1080p resolutions are that they are indeed too small for reading text from a computer, toy have to adjust the resolution down to 720p but then everything just looks gigantic. These TVs are good for playing games or watching movies but if using for a computer screen to surf the web or use as a PC monitor, they are not that great at their true resolution

shioriharu

Reputable
Nov 21, 2014
1280x might be what i was looking for, my only problem is brightness seems off for this resolution.
Dont get me wrong 1920x1080 picture looks amazing but for example playing Fallout NV on it looks like im playing Army Men RTS and even if i change fonts, the ingame text is plain unreadable.
1024x768 would be best but its stretched out too much.
So i think ill give it a day of testing 1280/1920 and come back to pick an answur if nothing new comes

shioriharu

Reputable
Nov 21, 2014
To be honest im largely unsatisfied with how LG handles the color filters, no matter how i fiddle with reds greens and blues it remains burning bright and blurry.
ive checked my friend's Hyundai HDTV 80cm and it looked perfect, just like my old 56cm Hyundai TV.

Everything looks uncanny, fake-ish on this new IPS LED i can't even really get into any game cause it feels like a ..well it feels like a game, whereas i remember on an LCD TV i could totally lose myself while playing, it had some kind of ...realistic immersion?
Even my digital drawings look like a weird kind of 2D while on my old TV it had this 3D-ish effect, i thought its a resolution problem but after these days it occurs to me Im either hallucinating, or ISP LED makes everything look like plastic.
Any thoughts on this? Or an idea how to fix this, if possible (without returning/trading the TV ofc.)