Windows 10 Upgrade frozen at Login/Password Screen

thattyguy

Reputable
May 31, 2015
After upgrading two old household laptops to Windows 10 through the step up dealio, I decided it was okay and stable to update my one month old gaming machine as well,

( YES I forgot to back it up, stupid, yes. Only truly worried about my save game files as the critical information on my SSD, nothing dreadfully important besides lots of hours of wasted Witcher 3 time)

The update installed seemingly fine, although overnight and I woke up to the password login, whence from there I entered my password and the screen freezes and the PC restarts almost immediately and brings me right back to the endless cycle of Login/password entrance screen.

1.Can I make a bootable USB from my other laptops with Win10 currently Installed and use it to reinstall on my gaming rig, or at least download it online and do it that way?

2. Would reinstalling my Win7 delete any folders and files (save games and steam games not on backup 2TB HDD) that are on my SDD, basically downgrading windows back from the Win10 login to the Win7 stable version?

3. Could it be my GTX 970 crashing new Win10 because I didnt install the new Nvidia driver pre-Win10 install? Maybe try removing the card and booting with onboard i5 4690k GPU? (will try soon)

Why does this happen to my brand spanking new mid range rig and not the jalopy old laptops I have... Depressing. Please help with any information.

Specs: i5 4690k
AsRock z97x Fatal1ty Killer
Gtx EVGA 970 SC
Rosewill ARC 750w Bronze PSU
Gskill Ripjaws X 2x4GB RAM
Samsung EVO 256GB SSD
WD 2TB Black HDD
Noctua U12s Cooler

Solution
*************HOPEFULLY SOLVED*******************

After reading similar entries (Apologies TomsHardWare Gods.. X) I unplugged my WIFI USB device, and shut off and restarted... WALAAA. Instantly booted up. Very strange bug to have, seems to affect people with USB WIFI devices and routers.. Hopefully this helps people..

thattyguy

Reputable
May 31, 2015
*************HOPEFULLY SOLVED*******************

After reading similar entries (Apologies TomsHardWare Gods.. X) I unplugged my WIFI USB device, and shut off and restarted... WALAAA. Instantly booted up. Very strange bug to have, seems to affect people with USB WIFI devices and routers.. Hopefully this helps people..

Solution

UndoingJaguar31

Reputable
Oct 20, 2014

I can confirm this worked thank you so much !

Rymart

Reputable
Aug 8, 2015
After hours on the phone and uninstalling and reinstalling 7 and 10 multiple times, all I needed to do was have my sub wifi unplugged when starting. Thank you, it does work.

azombieee

Reputable
Sep 4, 2015

Also worked for me! USB wireless had to be unplugged! Thank you!

Lahogoni

Reputable
Sep 8, 2015

Thanks You so much! This helped me a ton after upgrading from windows 7 to 10. Thanks!

reddr

Reputable
Dec 11, 2015
I had the same problem when upgraded my laptop from w 8.1 to w10.
So..no USB on but still frozen on the login screen after password inserted.
Next move, as it is not so easy to unplug the wifi device from a laptop was to: before I insert my password to go right down on the screen, click on the wifi icon and switch it off. Then I clicked the power ICON (not reset button) and restarted my laptop twice.
And then walllaaaa, when password inserted everything loaded as normal.
I hope this helps those with laptops!

Draftcats

Commendable
Mar 16, 2016

Thank you!

Underthestars

Commendable
Mar 22, 2016

I had to unplug my USB wireless keyboard, mouse and WiFi and then it worked! Thanks for this great Tipp!

justin63

Commendable
Apr 4, 2016
I too had this issue I too after reading post here I removed the Netgear Wifi usb adapter and reset the login and wal-aaa I clicked on the next button and bamm.... It proceeded to the next page and seems it all is well now .. Thanks for the input!!!!

MADGENIUS

Commendable
Jun 1, 2016

WORKED FOR ME TOO!

kullgor

Commendable
Jul 29, 2016

How did you restart walaa I'm getting same problem

SivanBH

Commendable
Aug 3, 2016

This also worked for me but it doesn't stick- I can only login when the Wifi is off, so it's not a permanent fix. Do you have a way of making sure this doesn't happen again?

Zaroj_

Commendable
Aug 26, 2016
I also verify this worked as quick fix. I just set up a new router and started with these symptoms:
Black screen hang up after login still spinning cursor. Ctrl Alt Del fixed that hangup usually but often the task bar and Start menu were then blank only desktop shortcuts. Then the welcome screen started to stick with spinning cursor and had to reboot. Couldn't get in at all. Read around and then found this tip and worked first time!

When your at the login screen just turn your wifi off. Don't even worry about disconnect just turn it off and login

Now to find a permanent solution cause i bought this router setup so I could use my gaming laptop. Family Sunday and daddy was the only one not gaming because all the other devices were killing my bandwidth. Not the game plan at all