Upgrading to Windows 10, but on two computers with a twist

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOLZpersonok

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
We have been putting together a computer using older parts, after upgrading another one. Both computers are to be running Windows 10, but there's a bit of an issue:

The computer that is being upgraded currently has two hard drives: The original 500GB hard drive with Windows 8.1 installed, and the upgraded 1TB hard drive which doesn't have Windows on it. The initial plan was to try and image Windows 8.1 to the 1TB hard drive, put the 500GB hard drive in the PC we're putting together and use Windows to reset the hard drive to factory defaults.

But we're not sure how to do that. I'm wondering if I could create a system image of my Windows 10 laptop and image it back to the computer we're putting together, or we could use the product key on the side of the upgraded computer and use it when installing Windows 10 directly on the hard drive.

Either way, we need Windows 10 on both PCs, and I don't know how to do it by imaging the drives. The only copies of Windows we own is Windows XP Home Edition and the Windows 7 upgrade (which has been used up and can't be used anymore). I could go the route of Ubuntu on that computer, but out of the 20 games I have installed on my Windows 10 laptop, only one would work on Linux-based operating systems.

Solution
Either you upgrade from a valid, installed, fully updated, activated, Win 7 or 8.1, or you purchase a Win 10 license.
1 license, 1 PC.

LOLZpersonok

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011

Well, I kind of figured that's how it was going to be. I guess this computer will either be running Ubuntu for the time being or nothing at all, because we're kind of broke and no longer have a source of income. (By we I'm referring to my brother and I)

Status
Not open for further replies.