In desperate need of help, family laptop won't start nor run the hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sterfry

Reputable
May 6, 2015
Alright, currently we use an HP laptop with 6 gigs of ram with an AMD CPU/GPU and it ran windows 7.

However, my parents noticed that it was able to upgrade to windows 10. I was alright, I'll do it on my PC and see if it works and it works fine. In fact I used the Media Creation Tool to do it. However, when I tried to do it on my parents' laptop. It would just crash (Stop Responding). So I tried to restart it. Nothing worked, but after that I told them it was probably a bad idea to upgrade it and to just wait until Microsoft fixes all the issues

Turns out someone or something tried to force the upgrade, and when it did, the laptop would not see the regular hard drive as the main drive (It was a 500 gig drive). Instead it would see a new drive as the main drive. Which in fact wasn't even a hard drive in there. All it had was a folder named Boot and Windows information on it. So I left that alone.

However, I don't know what to do, we have a 1 TB External Hard drive and the main 500 gig drive. The problem is, I don't know how to tell it to boot off of that information with just the external hard drive. So in sense I am stuck. Because the laptop does not have a optical drive nor does it have a burner.

So if someone knows what to do to fix this issue. I would be very grateful. If you know what to do, please help us out :D

Solution
Your data was hopefully backed up, if not, it's likely going to be difficult or impossible to recover. Your laptop should have a recovery partition on it and I'd use the advanced boot menu to reinstall the factory image or run windows repair. Depending on your laptop model you can probably access the advanced boot menu options by pressing F8 until the advanced boot menu options appear and then choosing the repair or recovery options.
Your data was hopefully backed up, if not, it's likely going to be difficult or impossible to recover. Your laptop should have a recovery partition on it and I'd use the advanced boot menu to reinstall the factory image or run windows repair. Depending on your laptop model you can probably access the advanced boot menu options by pressing F8 until the advanced boot menu options appear and then choosing the repair or recovery options.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.