Factory reset doesn't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

C0l0less

Reputable
Aug 5, 2015
I want to factory reset my Asus UX301LA laptop running Windows 10 (came with 8.1), but Windows demands recovery media. The install disk wasn't included when I bought the laptop. I tried creating recovery media using the build-in program, but it says that some needed files are missing and that I should use the install disk. Is there any other way I can factory reset.

Solution
Hello

If you are trying to factory reset your Windows 8, I would recommend you to downgrade your Windows 10 first.

After downgrading, once you are back on Windows 8.1, you can reset the operating system to factory defaults by following the instructions given here.

Using the above method, you can choose to keep or remove your personal files from the computer and the process doesn't require any recovery media as well.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!!
Hello

If you are trying to factory reset your Windows 8, I would recommend you to downgrade your Windows 10 first.

After downgrading, once you are back on Windows 8.1, you can reset the operating system to factory defaults by following the instructions given here.

Using the above method, you can choose to keep or remove your personal files from the computer and the process doesn't require any recovery media as well.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!!

Solution

C0l0less

Reputable
Aug 5, 2015

I tried to downgrade, but it says that the needed files where removed.

Hello again C0l0less

In that case you may want to get an ISO image for Windows 8.1, install it on your PC and use your license key to re-activate it.

Depending on the type of license you have, you may (or may not) need to contact the Microsoft Customer Support Team for reactivation. However in many cases, Windows takes care of most of things itself.

Good Luck!!

C0l0less

Reputable
Aug 5, 2015

Thanks for all your help. I will try doing that and report back if there are any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.