Installing onto Blank Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

rixtertrader

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
1. Have a business machine with Windows 7 Ultimate.

2. Just built a bigger, faster machine to replace my older business machine.

I do not want to upgrade my current business machine to Windows 10.

3. I want to install Windows 10 on my new bigger, faster machine before I start installing all my business apps onto it and testing it before retiring my current machine.

My new machine has a blank SSD drive without any OS on it.

I own a few Windows 7 licenses in Home, Pro, and the one Ultimate currently used.

Do I have to install Windows 7 first on my new machine in order to get Windows 10 on it, or is it possible to put Windows 10 upgrade on it directly, bypassing a Win 7 install?

And if possible, how do I deal with the licensing? I have the Win 7 licenses, can they convert?

Thanks.

Solution
Hi

If you have a retail copy of 7 or 8 which is not currently in use on any PC

You can install & activate on the new PC
Then upgrade to 10 for free

Or buy a new retail or oem system builder version of 10

When you upgrade 7 or 8 a new key is created
If you then extract the new key using a utility as
Nirsoft produkey
Or any similar system info utility
You can re use this key for a clean install on the PC

If you start with oem 7 or 8 then this means the free upgrade 10 will not be valid or transferable to another motherboard

If you start with 7 or 8 home you stay with home version of 10

Pro or ultimate 7 or 8 become pro 10

Regards
Mike Barnes

rixtertrader

Distinguished
May 2, 2011

What I have are purchased licenses for all the Windows 7 versions. The install CD's have to be created from downloaded ISO file and then I can activate them using one of my purchased licenses.

So what you are saying is that I must first INSTALL Windows 7 onto my new machine and activate using one of my licenses, THEN upgrade to Windows 10 to get a generated key. I can then get that key for future use using Nirsoft?

In other words, unless I upgrade an existing installed Windows 7 system to 10 in order to get the key, I will not be able to do a clean Win 10 install on a new hard drive. That sound about right?

Thanks. :)

A clean install of Windows 7 followed by an upgrade to Windows 10 is a clean install of Windows 10 using the free upgrade. You can then use Disk Cleanup utility to remove the old Windows 7 data.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.