Should I upgrade? i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz -> i5 6600K NEW* Skylake

snakcaz

Reputable
Mar 30, 2015
Title says it: should I upgrade from an i5 2500K to the new i5 6600k?
My current rig:
CPU: i5 2500K
RAM: 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3-1600Hz
Mobo: Gigabyte Z68P-DS3

Future Upgrade (if I decide to bite on the skylake cpu, course i have to upgrade Ram and MOBO as well):
CPU: i5 2500K
RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V or G.Skill Trident Z DDR4
Mobo: A Z170 Board, not sure yet.

What I do:
College Student, the usual: Game, Homework, Multimedia stuff.

What I know:
-I know that games are practically NOT CPU dependent. In actuality, if I were to upgrade, I would mostly be looking towards a features update.

-My budget Gigabyte Z68P-DS3 motherboard is not the most overclocking-friendly board. I can't directly change my CPU VCore (voltage), as it does not allow that option.

-Also, I have 3 Storage Drives
  • Samsung 850 PRO 256GB SSD
    WD Red NAS Drive 3TB HDD
    OCZ Vertex III 128GB SSD (running in SATA II)
Because this is a Z68 board, I only have 2 SATAIII ports, meaning I can only fully utilize two Storage drives at SATAIII speeds. I DO plan on buying another SSD, not sure of form factor (M.2, SATAIII, PCIe (expensive AF)

I was wondering if the wonderful Tom's Hardware community would approve of this upgrade? Should I go for it? Thoughts, comments, anyone else on the same boat?
Thanks for your time in reading! I'm sure other's are having this mindful dilemma of upgrades as well!
Feel free to link me any articles or benchmarks you think I may find interesting! I'm super open to it =D

What GPU do you have? The 2500K is fine for your needs, you can do some basic overclocking, make sure you have a good GPU, and that should last you until you are out of school.

Aftermarket motherboards especially ones like Gigabyte will have the ability to adjust basic Voltage settings and allow for basic overclocks. It's also a Z68 chipset, so it was designed for some sort of overclocking. Look in in the MIT page of your BIOS:

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/2PM6t3BCQyQ/maxresdefault.jpg

snakcaz

Reputable
Mar 30, 2015
The rest of my specs are:
GPU: ASUS R9 290X
PSU: Antec TruePower Classic 750W Gold (Seasonic Manufactured)

Ransunsan

Reputable
Mar 14, 2015
Don´t upgrade! 2500K is still a fine piece of art. Instead OC the 2500K if u haven´t ready... I have mine at a minor OC running 4.4 Ghz with standard crap cooler and no heat problems. Secondly, upgrade your GPU if u play games and want better FPS. Wait for the next Intel upgrade (next year) or even check out what AMD Zen has to offer.

Asher2099

Reputable
Aug 16, 2015
Like everyone else said. Its not worth it performance wise. OC your current cpu and be happy with it.

Unless you are encoding videos or doing FOLDING@home there is no benefit.

DDR4 vs DDR3 is pretty much a wash. Anandtech has a great write up on it.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9483/intel-skylake-review-6700k-6600k-ddr4-ddr3-ipc-6th-generation/7

If you interested in usb 3.1 and C port then you can always buy a cheap PCIex1 card to add to your system. Hell they even make M.2 to PCIe adapters also if you next storage was m.2 or just add Sata III in that spare PCIe slot. If you dont plan to corssfire you graphics card then utilize those extra slots before upgrading your system.

What Im getting at is save your money cause if you upgrade the performance isnt worth the cost to value even if you sold you old cpu/mobo/ram