Linux FAILED. Software RAID unaccessible. Window 10 , Recovery help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kmorgavi

Reputable
Aug 6, 2015
A small server setup by a linux programmer who is no longer available and support is non-existant failed after an automatic update left the machine unreachable from the LAN. Samba crashed and I now have 2 RAID arrays formatted NTFS that have thousands of files. I am going to install Windows 10 Pro on it. Will I be able to recover the data on the two RAID arrays?

Solution
I very much doubt that you will be able to recover this data. Only a Linux install would stand any chance of doing so and I wouldn't hold out too much hope there. Your best bet is to start over. Install Windows 10 and then restore the data from your backups. I'd forget about RAID; it doesn't seem to have served you very well to date and is an additional thing to go wrong.

Users who set up one-off systems and then leave the company are the bane of IT department's life. It is far wiser to stick to simple, standard setups that anyone can easily deal with.

McHenryB

Admirable
I very much doubt that you will be able to recover this data. Only a Linux install would stand any chance of doing so and I wouldn't hold out too much hope there. Your best bet is to start over. Install Windows 10 and then restore the data from your backups. I'd forget about RAID; it doesn't seem to have served you very well to date and is an additional thing to go wrong.

Users who set up one-off systems and then leave the company are the bane of IT department's life. It is far wiser to stick to simple, standard setups that anyone can easily deal with.

Solution

Kmorgavi

Reputable
Aug 6, 2015

Thank you. I managed to get the original version of the server software, reinstalled it and after a bit of head pounding getting the GUI up managed to get the raids online and the data transferred to stable Windows machines. The RAID sir gave me quick transfer rates and I am an old fart. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.